3D printed REMEMOrizer case.

Everything about Andy Key's REMEMOrizer
JonB

3D printed REMEMOrizer case.

Post by JonB »

OK friends, I can now say the REMEMOrizer case is finished... more or less.

Some pictures:

Board clips to the bottom half, then you attach it to the MTX.
Board clips to the bottom half, then you attach it to the MTX.
IMG_7276.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
There is a slot for the VGA cable.
There is a slot for the VGA cable.
IMG_7277.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
The lid clips onto the top.
The lid clips onto the top.
IMG_7275.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
It looks pretty neat (IMHO!)
It looks pretty neat (IMHO!)
IMG_7278.jpg (70.61 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
Last edited by JonB on 24 Dec 2020 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
JonB

Re: 3D printed REMEMOrizer case.

Post by JonB »

More...
Press here to release the lid.
Press here to release the lid.
IMG_7279.jpg (72.07 KiB) Viewed 8191 times
It swings up from the bottom...
It swings up from the bottom...
IMG_7280.jpg (80.12 KiB) Viewed 8191 times
...and you have full access to the SD card and VGA cable.
...and you have full access to the SD card and VGA cable.
IMG_7281.jpg (94.86 KiB) Viewed 8191 times

There are a few more tweaks to be done (like thickening the side walls and adjusting the position of the indents for the MTX case screws) but it's essentially complete. Once these modifications are done I will upload to Thingiverse and you can print away. In black, of course!

Happy Christmas!

Your Pal
JonB
Dave

Post by Dave »

Well done!

Looking good, have a great Christmas too

Regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Excellent 👍

Have a good time at Christmas ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

That looks terrific. With minor modification at the rear it would work with the CFX as well.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Depends. It's designed to fit the Rememorizer PCB, which (mine at least) is 100mm (w) x99mm (h). The height being most important as it clamps the board along that dimension. It relies on a good fit to hold the case square to the MTX case. In other words, the only thing holding it in place is the PCB and edge connector. I can't see any other way to hold it unless you were to use very long screws and go all the way through the case. Reason being the MTX case screws are too close to the edge of the aluminium profile, so there's not enough space in the printed case to fit the screws - the plastic walls are too thick (and they are only 3 layers as it is).

If you give me the measurements of the CFX board we can see how well it might will fit.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Sorry for the delay. I'm waiting for some black PLA to arrive before proceeding with it. The last order got cancelled (most likely due to Brexit and it coming from the EU), so I will have to find an alternative.

I think the CFX won't fit as is, due to:
  • The location of the edge connector relative to the PCB edge. It would stick out at the front or back, not lining up with the aluminium case. [Edit: had a look at some pictures of the CFX and ReMemorizer to compare the edge connector positions. It might work..!)
  • The case's PCB clamps look like they would foul the top connector on the board. [Edit: Depends on how much PCB is sticking out past the edge of the connector.]
  • Ribbon cable coming off that top connector needs a slot to pass through. [Edit: You could file it out easily enough.]
Obviously the design can be tweaked to suit.. once it fits the Rememorizer perfectly (still a few mods required).

@Dave : Please measure the distance indicated on a real board.
@Dave : Please measure the distance indicated on a real board.
Capture.JPG (38.05 KiB) Viewed 7944 times
protek

Post by protek »

JonB wrote: 25 Dec 2020 22:01 Depends. It's designed to fit the Rememorizer PCB, which (mine at least) is 100mm (w) x99mm (h). The height being most important as it clamps the board along that dimension. It relies on a good fit to hold the case square to the MTX case. In other words, the only thing holding it in place is the PCB and edge connector. I can't see any other way to hold it unless you were to use very long screws and go all the way through the case. Reason being the MTX case screws are too close to the edge of the aluminium profile, so there's not enough space in the printed case to fit the screws - the plastic walls are too thick (and they are only 3 layers as it is).

If you give me the measurements of the CFX board we can see how well it might will fit.
When I did my second revision of the CFX case, I made the holes on the side panel to accommodate countersunk screws, so that they would sit flush. That bracket to hold the card looks great! I should make something similar.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Yes, I'd already put those holes into my design, though they need tweaking.

I made the TinkerCAD design artifacts public, so you can have a go yourself. Please read the notes on the diagram as it can be improved upon as explained - basically, the holes need moving and the side panels are a bit too thin.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aE762rRkWSO

The first successfully printed case went to the buyer of my Rememorizer. All I have left is a bunch of prototype parts in white PLA.