Help request: Patching a CF card driver in CP/M 2.2

Everything about Memotech CP/M and CP/M Software.
JonB

Help request: Patching a CF card driver in CP/M 2.2

Post by JonB »

One for the CP/M hard core guys... and apologies if you read the same question elsewhere!

I'm writing a CF adapter driver for a vanilla CP/M 2.2 implementation. The read and write routines are already written and working on a different CP/M device. They use a non standard interface because they're patched into an existing ram disk driver, but both need the (logical) sector and CP/M buffer address to function, so it should be straightforward to port across.

I have a DPB and DPH. The DPH is actually the one for Disk 3, with an alternative DPB vector patched in. This is a temporary measure (since there is no Disk 3 on my system). The CF card is going to be Disk 4 (E: in CP/M).

I've written a bunch of alternative BIOS routines to implement the CF driver. Each one jumps to the original routine if the current drive (stored in sdisk) is not 4 (E:). What follows is the functional description of the CF card part of them.
  • HOMEDSK: Copy 0 to BC and jump to SETTRK.
  • SELDSK: Copy selected drive number from C to local address (sdisk). Load address of CF card DPH into HL.
  • SETTRK: Copy track (in BC) to local address (strack). strack is unused by the driver, it is just there for debug purposes.
  • SETSEC: Copy sector (in BC) to local address (slsec).
  • SETDMA: Copy DMA (in BC) to local address (sdma).
  • SECTRAN: Copy logical sector (in BC) to HL (no translation for CF Card, as write and read routines do this themselves).
  • READDSK: Read a sector from CF card. Compute head, cylinder, sector from value in local address (slsec). Copy data to local buffer (sdma).
  • WRITEDSK: Write a sector from local buffer (sdma) to CF card. Compute head, cylinder, sector from value in local address (slsec).
These look to be in line with section 6.6 of the CP/M Alteration Guide (http://www.gaby.de/cpm/manuals/archive/ ... ection_6.6).

The driver code sits at the top of memory from FC00. To make room for this, I used MOVCPM to relocate the BDOS and BIOS down by 1K. The CP/M sign-on message now says "63k CP/M" instead of "64k CP/M".

The driver loader comprises of a piece of code to copy the driver into high memory and then patch the BIOS jump table with my new vectors, as well as the DPB vector in Disk 4's DPH. The driver is assembled separately with ORG FC00 (top 1K of memory) and combined with the loader so that it can copy it to high memory. Several special addresses have to be hand patched into the loader code with reference to the driver's .LST (assembly output) file.

What's happening is the driver is getting loaded to the correct address and the BIOS jump table / DPB vectors are getting patched correctly. However, on warm boot after driver load it hangs, which is a bit odd because with drive A: the patched code should just be passing through to the original driver code. I have traced this in ZSID and found it to be so... so there must be a bug somewhere, which I am having difficulty locating.

I haven't even got to the bit where I try to access drive E: (the CF card).

:lol:

Any comments on the approach so far?
Martin A

Re: Help request: Patching a CF card driver in CP/M 2.2

Post by Martin A »

I've tried looking through the code used by CFX, I'm not sure it helps though. Memotech seem to have used a 2 stage solution, so the driver code that's put in place by the boot rom, only has 5 disc routines:
Configure
Read Sector
Write Sector
Block read
Initialise
Everything else is buried in the BIOS/BDOS I've not got sources for.

Andy has a copy of the CPM boot rom sources in the rememorizor ZIP archive, if that's any help.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks Martin

What I'm after is a bit of general CP/M 2.2 disk driver writing advice. I think I have done it right according to the CPM Alteration Guide, but as I said it ain't working. I wonder how you debug the BDOS..?
Tony Brewer

Post by Tony Brewer »

deleted
Last edited by Tony Brewer on 05 Nov 2016 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Jon posted on a number of forums. He got it sorted eventually. Some details are here on StarDot.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol: