Bootstrap and boot blocks

Everything about programming, including VDP and Sound programming.
Martin A

Re: Bootstrap and boot blocks

Post by Martin A »

Jus in case it helps, I tried the same thing on the real MTX:
The adventure output
The adventure output
adv01.jpg (472.89 KiB) Viewed 12758 times
And did the diagnostics (but not show !)
Diag commands as req'd
Diag commands as req'd
diag bits.jpg (584.21 KiB) Viewed 12758 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It looks like getty isn't setting up the rows and columns of the terminal.

You can set them manually using: 'stty rows 22 columns 39' (counting the characters on the screen in those photos to get the numbers).
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

I tried STTY rows 24 columns 40, to match the text screen's raw size and got an error, it seems I can set the row. But columns isn't recognised and I get an error that 40 isn't a legal speed. STTY on it's own after that reported the rows set to 24 and columns 0.

I did try STTY /? but the ? doesn't work and I just get a second unshifted / instead.

STTY /h and STTY /help errored too, NB I've no Idea if any of those are actually legal but it seemed worth a try .
Dave

Post by Dave »

That doesn't work, "columns" is an illegal argument and setting the rows makes no difference to the output
Dave

Post by Dave »

stty cols x works and the games are formatted correctly

the stty settings are transient though, I guess they need to be saved in some way
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alan,

on stty, based on the stty -a output, I'm guessing that <ctrl><q> and <ctrl><s> are meant to start/stop screen scrolling?

On the MTX implementation, they change the foreground colour attribute

regards
Dave
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alan,

another query . . .

you can issue a shutdown command from the second (40 column) console, but "Halted" is only reported to the 80 column screen - is that by design or a "feature"?

regards
Dave
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Dave wrote: 27 Jul 2019 16:58 stty cols x works and the games are formatted correctly

the stty settings are transient though, I guess they need to be saved in some way
They would be. It's something to do with the console driver not reporting the screen size correctly I would imagine.
EtchedPixels

Post by EtchedPixels »

The use of '/' as a switch is a DOS thing. Unixlike OS's use '-'. So stty -h would have been the thing to try.

Control-S/Q will eventually do flow control if xon/xoff is enabled. Right now that's not implemented at all (RTS/CTS is for a few serial ports). The CFX-II video will also at some point magically change to work the way the 40 column and real SDX video does where it's mapped to an extended VT52 emulation. Right now it's a hack to get it going. (Control S/Q are international standard flow control so I don't care what Memotech thinks they do ;))

The 'halted' is by design. It's one of the system messages and like during boot those go to the one video console only (80 if present 40 if not).

Alan
EtchedPixels

Post by EtchedPixels »

Oh and you should be able to set the various terminal properties in inittab

so you can do

getty /dev/tty1 38400 vt52 40 25

(the speed will get ignored for a console obviously)

Alan