Greetings from a returning MTX owner

Section where new members can tell us a little bit about themselves (and their own set-up) and existing members can say "hello and welcome" to them?
polbikers

Greetings from a returning MTX owner

Post by polbikers »

Hi All,

I had an MTX512 years ago as one of the many home computers I owned in the early 80's. It even got me through my Computer Science O Level!

Have often looked on Ebay to see what they are going for and finally gave into my nostalgic impulse and bid and won!!! Hurrah!

Looking forward to having a tinker.

First question I have though. Can anyone recommend the best place to get a compatible joystick or two so I can play some of those retro games? :)

Kevin
Dave

Re: Greetings from a returning MTX owner

Post by Dave »

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Forum !

There was nothing special about the MTX Joystick ports, any Atari compatible joystick (9-pin "D" connector) will do.

Actually, I've just remembered, when I bought my MTX512-S2, Diarmid sent a few old joysticks with it and asked me to sell them for him.
They are such low value items that I didn't even bother putting them on ebay, I'd be happy to let you have one (or two?) for a few quid + postage.
I'm sure that you can find plenty on ebay too though

regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome to our MTX forum, Kevin :D

:D :D :D

Yes, just look for an Atari compatible (also the same as used on many home computers).

When it comes to reliability and quality, well there is a wide gulf between a cheap joystick and a quality one, even more so after all the use a used one would have had. Zip sticks seem to last okay, I have a couple 8-).

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Crazyboss
Site Admin

Post by Crazyboss »

Commodore 64 Joysticks are Compatible too.

MSX Joysticks with two firekeys (which are not "mapped") could in worst case destroy your MTX, but I am not totaly sure, about this. People said it can make a shortcut between 5v+ and GND when using it at a NON MSX computer.

I am not sure if it do on Memotech and if Memotech even have 5v+ out at the 9pin joystick port.

MSX and other computer systems used the 5v+ current for e.g AUTOFIRE function.

I am sure you can find joysticks at EBAY too ;)

Good luck, and Welcome on board ;)
//CLAUS - Webmaster at www.mtxworld.dk
polbikers

Post by polbikers »

Thank you all for the welcome and the information about the joysticks.... being 30 years or so since I last had an MTX my memory is a little rusty.

I will have a hunt around on eBay but if I don't find anything I may well be in touch Dave!