Available for order

Everything about Martin Allcorn's Games ROM
Dave

Available for order

Post by Dave »

Hi Guys,

I have worked out the final cost of the PCBs, including shipping to the UK, EU and USA.

I had originally intended to only supply the bare PCB as the other parts are available in the UK without too much difficulty from the likes of Maplin, Rapid, ebay etc. The only exceptions perhaps are the edge connectors, the board is laid out to accept either 1 or 2, 30x2 way right angled edge connectors, mounted on the bottom of the board.

I have managed to source these from China, but only in quantities of 10, you are of course, welcome to source your own, but given the inconvenience and minimum order quantity, I will also supply the edge connector if required, although, if more than a very few people want one, I would need to order another lot from China.

Anyway, prices, including shipping, are :-

Bare board
UK £4.20
Europe £6.50
USA £7,50

Edge connectors would be £1.50 extra (for 1)
If you know that you only want to mount the PCB internally or externally, you only need one connector, if you want the flexibility for either, you'd need 2, but could always add the second one later.

Note, the edge connectors have solid end plates, there is no gap in them to allow them to fit over the mainboard internal edge connector (J0), which does not have cut-outs at the end like the external one (J10). I used the same method as Andy to "cut" slots in the end of the connector to allow it fit over the internal connector, i.e., melted a small slot in each end - you would need to do something similar, the external one is fine "as-is".

There has been a little more interest than from those who expressed an interest when I tested whether there was any appetite for the board before I placed the order. The first boards are reserved for anyone who "signed up" then, the rest are available on a "first come, first served" basis.

Drop me an e-mail to confirm/express your desire to have one - or, in one case, TWO :)

regards
Dave

p.s., I just had another thought, not everyone has the tools to write the MAGROM data to the flash chip, if anyone needs that done, I can do that for you for the cost of a flash chip at an addtional £3.50, or for no charge if you send me a chip to program.
1024MAK

Re: Available for order

Post by 1024MAK »

Bill of Materials Draft

Code: Select all

U1	74HCT32 or 74LS32
U2	74HCT00 or 74LS00
U3	74HCT30 or 74LS30
U4	Flash "ROM" 29F040
U5	74HCT374 (preferred)
U6	74HCT138 or 74LS138
C1	100nF
C2	100nF
C3	100nF
R1	4.7k  5% or 1% 250mW (¼W) or 0.6W metal film
R2	4.7k  5% or 1% 250mW (¼W) or 0.6W metal film
R3	4.7k  5% or 1% 250mW (¼W) or 0.6W metal film
R4	4.7k  5% or 1% 250mW (¼W) or 0.6W metal film
R5	4.7k  5% or 1% 250mW (¼W) or 0.6W metal film
P3	1 way 0.1" pin header
P4	3 way 0.1" pin header
	  0.1" jumper shunt (link) (for P3/P4)
J0	Edge connector, 30x2 way right angled type
J10	Edge connector, 30x2 way right angled type
PCB	MAGROM PCB
Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Thanks Dave 8-)

PM and email sent ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

1024MAK wrote:

PM and email sent ;)

Mark

And answered :-)

Thanks for the updated BoM, I'll update the web page

regards
Dave
Mojahed

Post by Mojahed »

Hello Dave,

i hope you can help me,

i need 2 Ready to use Boards with everything ( Software and Hardware ) i just want to plug them in my memotech and play.
i dont have the time and the ability to do it myself.

so please tell me how much do you want and i will pay you with Paypal.
dont forget the shipping cost to Germany.

thank you very much.
Mojahed
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Mojahed,

I had not intended making up the boards, let me have a think about it, I will send you a PM in due course

regards
Dave

Edit : PM sent
Mojahed

Post by Mojahed »

Hello, Dave

yes as i told you, i need 2 of them with all the parts you have such like the edge connecter and other parts,
if you can please send me all the parts to bulid the PCBs (i mean really everything)
please tell me how much do i have to pay you, and i need your paypal email to send you the payment.

thank you very much.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I received my MAGROM today so many thanks to Dave and Martin.

I'm using it externally initially for testing, on an MTX500 expanded to 512 level, so have set the jumper to MTX512 mode.

The menu does run correctly but I'm not having much luck running any of the games. I suspect this points to an issue with the computer itself, but thought I'd post here in case anybody has any ideas. When the game launches the machine kicks back to the basic prompt with some (I think!) machine code output on screen, example shown below. This output varies slightly per game; also some games show a black screen or random corruption instead.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (120.23 KiB) Viewed 12239 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Andy,

sorry you're having problems.

At the risk of being obvious, can you confirm what type of machine you are using and what position the jumper is set to?

My MTX512 is actually an MTX500 with a Memotech 32K RAM card, sounds like it's the same as yours?

I tried setting the jumper "wrongly" and it gave the results that you describe,

regards
DAve
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Yes Dave, same as that. I tried setting the jumper "wrongly" too (to MTX500 mode), and didn't get the game menu at all then - just a basic prompt with an error code (I forget exactly what, but it wasn't full of numbers like the screen above).