The forum is NOT read-only!

Dave

The forum is NOT read-only!

Post by Dave »

Hi folks,

As you all know, the forum is still very quiet. There has been a recent flurry (in Memorum terms anyway!), with a few new members and some new posts but things are starting to go quiet again.

I see people logging in, probably checking for new posts, and when not finding any, just logging off again. Unfortunately, that seems to be a pretty common scenario.

I think that it is clear that the forum needs a bit of kick-start to make it more popular, otherwise it is likely to have a slow, painful death.

So, when you visit, why not share something with the group?
Ask a question, or answer someone else's.
Tell us about the interesting things that you are doing with your MTX.
Tell us what enhancements you would like to see for the MTX.

If all else fails, why not post something interesting in the "Off topic" section.

What would YOU like to see on Memorum?
Answers on a postcard please ....
or at least, a reply to this post

Regards
Dave
(Deceased equine thrashing?)
1024MAK

Re: The forum is NOT read-only!

Post by 1024MAK »

I don't know about Deceased equine thrashing? but I fear the CPU /WR line is open circuit so only active /RD pulses are being seen :roll:

Maybe a handful (okay not many fit in a hand, maybe more than a handful) of spare high voltage electrolytic capacitors need charging up to a suitably painful voltage and then left hanging around, ready to shock people... :lol:

For those people who don't have a MTX to play with, the real thing comes up on ebay more often than you think and there are Andy's gadgets (like REMEMOTECH), so <cheesysalesvoice>don't delay, buy yours today!</> ;)

Not sure? Short of cash and the wife won't let you sell the kids to (who the hell knows)? Get a an MTX emulator for your boring window$ PC (or Linux or Mac) :mrgreen:
Write and tell us how you got on, what games you were good at (okay, what games you survived for more that 60 seconds in... :roll: ).
You can even run a window$ version on a Linux system, running Speculator so that you can play a ZX Spectrum game 8-) (or so I am told :? ). Can anyone step up to the next level and load and run a ZX81 or ZX80 program in a ZX81 or ZX80 "emulator" in Speculator? :?:

So log in and tell your story (before I send in big DAVE)...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

1024MAK wrote:I don't know about Deceased equine thrashing? but I fear the CPU /WR line is open circuit so only active /RD pulses are being seen :roll:
:-)
1024MAK wrote:So log in and tell your story (before I send in big DAVE)...
Damn those bl**dy Mince Pies at Christmas !

- normal size Dave will resume shortly
(at least, that is what the wife is threatening me with !)

regards
(not so trim) Dave
Dave

Post by Dave »

1024MAK wrote: and there are Andy's gadgets (like REMEMOTECH)
And there always a cheaper hardware solution, Bill Brendling has MEMU running on a Raspberry Pi.

I have loaded it onto one of mine and it works great - kind of half way between REMEMOTECH and MEMU.

Check it out at http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/r ... memupi.htm

If there is enough interest, we could even add another sub-forum for it here.

regards
Dave
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Okay, okay, okay ... guilty as charged.

I don't really do social media, but since Dave has blown my cover in the Memotech world anyway, here I am.

I purchased my Memotech new. I don't remember now what I did with it in the early days, probably played with the Assembler and Panel. I never was much into games, mainly because I am rubbish at them.

A few years later I saw the 3.5" SDX with CP/M adwertised at an (almost) affordable price and so got one. Since getting it working (after a few power supply teething problems), I have been running CP/M, and don't think I have had the VDP connected since. My Memotech has very much been a tool to assist in developing other projects (see Dave's site for some examples).

More recently I have been having fun with Andy's MEMU and a Raspberry Pi.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum - nice to see you here !

regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Bill :D Welcome 8-)

You do know that there is a INTRODUCE YOURSELF thread, don't you?

Tell your story in glorious detail and we will welcome you with hugs and kisses. Okay maybe not so much the hugs and kisses :lol:
It sounds like you have been up to something over the years, go on, tell us all about your adventures :D

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Hi Mark, yes I was aware that there is an introduce yourself section (having been lurking on the forum for some time), however since it was Dave's post that shamed me into poking my head above the parapit I thought he should have the credit.

I don't think I have any more of a story to tell than I have already posted, and what is already on Dave's site.

Bill.
schombi

Post by schombi »

Dave wrote: or at least, a reply to this post
After my embarrassing newbie questions, I have an embarrassing wish. I think I already mentioned this somewhere else.
Any chance to get a (simple) Windows GUI for MEMU? I don´t really get along with the command line parameters.
Dave

Post by Dave »

schombi wrote: After my embarrassing newbie questions, I have an embarrassing wish. I think I already mentioned this somewhere else.
Any chance to get a (simple) Windows GUI for MEMU? I don´t really get along with the command line parameters.
[/quote]

Any kind of question are always welcome - if nothing else, they should stimulate discussion.

On the MEMU question, I think that Andy may have looked at it, but it's probably not a quick thing to do.

Can I suggest that you post the question in the MEMU sub-forum and frame it as a "Feature Request" for MEMU.
Andy may then be able to give some feedback on its feasibility and potential timeframe if it were something that he would be prepared to do

regards
Dave