Suggestions

Dave

Re: Suggestions

Post by Dave »

Jim,

the answer is YES - but you need to subscribe to each "board" (sub forum) to receive the e-mail notifications.

Please answer my last question, have you subscribed to the General Discussions forum, and any others that you want to be emailed about?

You can do this from the top page in each sub-forum and will take you about 1 minute at most to subscribe to the 14 sub-forums on this board.
There isn't a moderator option that allows me to do this for you, so please take the time to do it yourself.

Skype is something I rarely use, normally, the laptop that I use Skype on is turned off, so I won't have heard you calling.
If I am shown as on-line, I suspect that one of my (many) iPads has Skype running, I will check to see where my presence is being indicated from.

You will almost always get an instant reply by e-mail though

regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Memorum - subscribe here 20141006.png
Memorum - subscribe here 20141006.png (58.62 KiB) Viewed 9124 times
Just one click is all you need for each sub-forum :P

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Well done Mark !

I forgot that Jim's eyes may not be as good as they used to be :lol:
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

Maybe reorganizing the forums a bit might help ? Less top level forums, meaning less clicking ??
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

While we are talking about the forum, I've noticed, that for me, the "Top" link (on the left hand side of each post, designed to return you to the top of the page) does not work. This works for me on other forums that are phpBB based. I keep meaning to see if it works with another skin, but keep forgetting :twisted:

Anyway, got to get up early, so time for section ZzZzzZz of the manual :|

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:

Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Mark,

I'd never tried it, but it is the same for me.

It turns out to be a Theme problem - the links (not called "Top", just arrows) work in the Prosilver and PS3 themes, they use an hyperlink ending in #wrap, the Redbox theme has a link ending in #wrapheader. I suspect that the Redbox theme uses an out of date link.

I can't fix it, I think Claus would need to go into the Theme and edit the tag

regards
Dave
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

Guys I appreciate the guidance re the forum and have subscribed to at least one of them now BUT why do we have to do it for all of them?

If it is intended to get more people to use the forum which is without doubt the best outcome then doing everything possible to limit the numbers of clicks and amount of searching to enable a person to receive posts as already mentioned has to be the way forward. Make it simple and quick for those of us who are a little lazy and more will use it. Human Nature ;-)

I wonder if its possible to increase the size of the bar/fonts which has the navigation links in it 'board index...' as the font size is quite small and with there being quite a lot of text / lines above the Posts it is not that clear when you first visit the site what is what and I did not figure out how to get back to the board selection page for a while?

Jim
PS and yes maybe my eyes are not as good as they once were but that's getting older for you ;-)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Potholepete wrote:Guys I appreciate the guidance re the forum and have subscribed to at least one of them now BUT why do we have to do it for all of them?

If it is intended to get more people to use the forum which is without doubt the best outcome then doing everything possible to limit the numbers of clicks and amount of searching to enable a person to receive posts as already mentioned has to be the way forward. Make it simple and quick for those of us who are a little lazy and more will use it. Human Nature ;-)

I wonder if its possible to increase the size of the bar/fonts which has the navigation links in it 'board index...' as the font size is quite small and with there being quite a lot of text / lines above the Posts it is not that clear when you first visit the site what is what and I did not figure out how to get back to the board selection page for a while?
Jim,

"why do we have to do it for all of them". I'm afraid that's a question for the authors of the phpBB software that the board is running.
There's nothing we can do to change it, OK, it ***may*** be slightly inconvenient, but it's not onerous.

Yes, I think that the font's etc. can be changed, but the "Theme" would need to be edited, as I said to Mark, Claus is the only person that has that level of access to the board software. I would think that Claus does not get into the nitty gritty of the software, so it might be a bit of a tall order asking him to make changes to the Theme. You could look at some of the other phpBB based boards that Mark noted above and see if you find a style that you like better. Claus could probably add that Theme to the board much easier than editing one already installed.

regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

You can choose the "skin" / "theme".

User Control Panel (top right of page) > Board Preferences (left hand side menu) > My board style (opens to three options): PS3 or blackbox_red (default) or prosilver.
Prosilver is in use on some other forums.

Mark
“There are four lights!”

Crazyboss
Site Admin

Post by Crazyboss »

if anyone find some skins they want added, I will do that. The black/red theme was added cause it had "the Memotech Look". Maybe will try to find more could be added, but suggestions are welcome :)
//CLAUS - Webmaster at www.mtxworld.dk