Hello from a new member

Dave

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by Dave »

Oh well, never mind.

As you say, beautiful machines.

There are a couple of options to upgrade the RAM, as it is highly unlikely you'll find a Memotech 32K expansion, there's my sorry tale of woe when I tried it here http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... pgrade.htm

If you don't want to read the drivel, skip to the bottom of the page for the modern option.

You're assumption about an MTX512 being 64k is understandable, it what it was supposed to be, it's just that Memotech and/or the end users made some changes along the way!

regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Um, maybe John thought 512 meant 512k :mrgreen:

Mark

On RAM, see also this thread
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
johnha

Post by johnha »

1024MAK wrote:Um, maybe John thought 512 meant 512k :mrgreen:
Of course not... just because it had 512 on the front doesn't mean it has 512K anymore than my Dragon 32 having 32K or the C64 having 64K or the Spectrum 48 having 48K... I suppose I should be using those new-fangled KiB (Kib?) things instead of the new lightweight Kb!

Incidentally the 512 has been on for a while now and acquired the lovely warm aluminium feel I remember, the keys are starting to free-up and having read the manual I now understand why the 'Esc' key doesn't break the infamous 10 PRINT "HELLO", 20 GOTO 10 program. Oh and the screen colour is beautiful too.
Dave

Post by Dave »

But the MTX512 **DID** have 512K of memory!

- Bits that is :lol:

regards
Dave
AndyKey

Post by AndyKey »

Welcome John.

We have a small but keen community of Memotech enthusiasts who frequent here and the MEMOTECH MTX-500 Facebook group.
There is a small collection of content rich websites, including Daves, Jim Wills's, Peter Kretschmars, Claus Baekkels and mine.
You should be able to find lots of software to run on your kit, as and when you have it working right.
And expertise to help you fix it up, if needs be.

{{{ Andy
{{{ Andy
johnha

Post by johnha »

Cheers Andy,

I've been looking at your site (and Dave's), not sure if I've found the others you mention (I may have missed the links).

Having seen some of the projects you have on your site I'm pretty impressed with what you've developed. I'm potentially interested in a REMEMOrizer (or REMEMOTECH) but first have to get acquainted with the internals of the kit I have so I understand what modifications may be needed.

John.
Crazyboss
Site Admin

Post by Crazyboss »

Hi and welcome

If I am not wrong Andy might still have a RM2 for sale :)

http://www.nyangau.org/rememorizer/rememorizer.htm
//CLAUS - Webmaster at www.mtxworld.dk
johnha

Post by johnha »

Thanks Crazyboss,

Yes, I'm considering an RM2, I just need the time to open a machine up and understand the PAL/GAL & ROM situation and how they affect the setup.

John.
johnha

Post by johnha »

Hi All,

I've finally got round to opening up the 512, the RAM chips appear to be OKI M3732H-20RS chips but there's no sign of any previously removed boards etc. The board is revision 4000-04.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-halli ... 737248802/

I will get some more photos of the exterior once I've put it back together!

I'd be grateful if somebody could point out the PAL/GAL lives?

John.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi John,

the Service Manual (available on my Manuals page) confirms that the link arrangement and PAL colour coding are consistent with an MTX 500 with 32k of "H" RAM chips. (The PAL is the chip with the blue coloured dot on it).

If there was an additional 32K RAM board, it would have been plugged into the edge connector and would have left no sign that it had been removed.

Not sure what you mean about the PAL/GAL "lives"?

regards
Dave

p.s., it's difficult to tell from the photo, but it does look like the right hand side of the internal edge connectors contacts are slightly scored which could suggest that a board had previously been connected to it.

p.p.s. - Good quality photos though - thanks!
Last edited by Dave on 11 Feb 2013 01:59, edited 1 time in total.