MTX to Centronics Printer Cable

About original Memotech hardware.
wyerd

MTX to Centronics Printer Cable

Post by wyerd »

After a bit of a break, I'm getting my MTX back into service. I'd like to connect it up to a dot matrix printer I recently purchased off eBay, but I can't find a suitable cable. Does anyone know if I can buy one from, or is it DIY? If DIY, what pins are connected to the Centronics connector? I'm also looking at getting a printer switch so I can connect 4 vintage computers to one printer, but the switch uses a female DB25 connector. How would I wire up a cable for this?

Thanks,
David.
Dave

Re: MTX to Centronics Printer Cable

Post by Dave »

Hi David,

The cable pin-out is in the manual, available on this page

http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/m ... anuals.htm

The revised (Phoenix) edition is the better manual

Regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome David :D

IIRC printer cables intended for the Acorn BBC Micro are suitable if you wish to directly connect to a printer with a Centronics port. These cables sometimes come up on eBay. They are made up of a 34 way 0.1" IDC header socket, 34 way ribbon cable and a 36 way IDC type Centronics plug. I'm not aware of ready made new ones being available from shops.

If you make your own, use IDC connectors and ribbon cable, as long as you line up pin one on the connectors (normally marked with a little triangle symbol) with the wire on the side of the ribbon cable with the red stripe, I think the pin-out should automatically be correct ;-).

I'm not aware of any ready made cables (34 way 0.1" IDC header socket to 25 way D plug using 25 way ribbon cable) for use with a printer switch box.

Both types of cable can be made, as the parts (connectors and ribbon cable) are still available.

The pin-out of the 25 way D connector is the same as that on IBM compatible printer ports. I would have to have a think and check, but it should not be a problem making up such a cable.

Links: http://pinouts.ru/ParallelPorts/ParallelPC_pinout.shtml

I hope that helps. If you need more help, ask away.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Thanks Mark - exactly what I was looking for!! :D

Dave, I'd seen the pin out diagram in the manual, but needed more info which Mark has given. Thanks anyway and it's great to hear from both of you. I see you're busy with the MTX+. I'm in awe in what you and Martin have accomplished. Great stuff.