The MTX case profile drawings

About original Memotech hardware.
Dave

Re: The MTX case profile drawings

Post by Dave »

Not sure about that, the two halves would not really be held together.

It might be worth a try though

regards
Dave
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

Is there enough clearance to use the keyboard rails on the top case, but put a lip (or tabs) on the lower part to clip under (or around) the bottom of the case in the "foot" groove ? ?
protek

Post by protek »

I might have an idea. Let me model it.
protek

Post by protek »

Here's for the case top.

The piece can be tightened onto the rail with a screw.
Last edited by protek on 01 May 2020 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

For the CFX-II have you thought about making the circuit board the same depth as the main circuit board, just like the original Memotech expansion boards, so that it slides into the case slots? That would solve the fixing issue.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Steve,

yes, but it would make the PCB larger than the most cost effective price point for the PCB vendors that I use (<100mm).

It would not make a huge difference to the price though, so it is a possibility.

regards
Dave
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I s'pose one benefit to having a larger board would be to allow space to mount the CF adapter board on top of the CFX-II board, maybe securing it with a couple of pins. Possibly rotate the VGA connector so that it exits to the rear of the device (and case, maybe).

Though I foresee a problem... With the edge connector being below the level of the CFX-II circuit board, unlike the original Memotech boards, the slots and board won't line up. Bother!
Dave

Post by Dave »

I haven't found a supplier for those "flat finger" connectors that Memotech used, the only ones that seem to be available these days are the through hole type which means that the connector has to be on top or underneath the board, rather than beside it, but this does not alter the vertical position of the PCB.

The problem with trying to put the CF card on top of the PCB would be height, or lack of, below the keyboard if the board was mounted internally

regards
Dave
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

True, but surely the VGA connector would also have this problem?

Anyway, if the unit was in a nice, sturdy external case then there shouldn't be a need to fit it internally.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The board will have a VGA header as well as a proper VGA connector so that the VGA can be taken off outside the case if the board is fitted internally.

Fitting it inside does mean that the case does not need to be another 4" wider and saves the cost of the expansion case

regards
Dave