Building a replacement MTX PSU

About original Memotech hardware.
1024MAK

Re: Building a replacement MTX PSU

Post by 1024MAK »

Hey! Well done ImageImageImage

I'll go back and re-edit the parts list and schematic... Edit: both updated :P

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on 16 Jul 2015 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Thanks!

How about getting Dave to put up a "How to build a MTX PSU" on his website?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Dave,

Well Done !

And great design by Mark!!

The new "brick" looks good, just missing a few red stripes & suitable Memotech like logo :-)

I'm more than happy to add the details of building one to the website (assuming that Mark is happy with me using his photos etc.?).

This is definitely a great development for the MTX, there does seem to be quite a few MTXs out there with missing PSUs.

I wonder, if having done the design work, Mark is interested in making and selling a few? Dave has made a great job of building his, but some people may be a bit uncomfortable working on a mains powered project? Mark?

Regards
Dave
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Hi back Dave!

Here are some more exterior shots. I've added a set of vinyl feet, or bumpers as it was wobbling a bit due to the countersunk screws protruding. It looks better I think as well.

Yes, the P-touch label doesn't quite have the finishing touch as a MTX logo or red stripe. Any ideas on how I could remedy this?

I'll be updating the original BoM spreadsheet with the corresponding US supplier part numbers, but it looks like I'm the only one over here with a MTX :cry: I wonder what ever happened to the one from Weird Science?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the additional photos, as I said, your example is looking really good, it may be your first DIY electronics project, but you've obviously done other projects before, the build is excellent.

I will create a new page when I get back from holiday - I am currently your side of "the pond" in WA, I get home on the 20th.

Regards
Dave
Dave

Post by Dave »

wyerd wrote:Hi back Dave!
Yes, the P-touch label doesn't quite have the finishing touch as a MTX logo or red stripe. Any ideas on how I could remedy this?
A custom printed label? Try eBay, just had a quick look, you could get something printed, but it wouldn't be economic for a single one. If others plan to build them though, I'm sure you could recoup some of the cost

Regards
Dave
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Dave wrote:
wyerd wrote:Hi back Dave!
A custom printed label? Try eBay, just had a quick look, you could get something printed, but it wouldn't be economic for a single one. If others plan to build them though, I'm sure you could recoup some of the cost

Regards
Dave
Good idea - I'll take a look anyway.

So you're just down the road from me?! Just 2800 odd miles! Whereabouts in WA are you? I was there back in 2011 in Seattle and I was very lucky to go to Everett and have a tour of the Boeing factory. It's an amazing place.
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Dave wrote:Thanks a lot for the additional photos, as I said, your example is looking really good, it may be your first DIY electronics project, but you've obviously done other projects before, the build is excellent.
You're too kind! I've been busy with my TI-99/4a and it's Peripheral Expansion Box (PEB) over the last few months with the odd modding here and there, so I've gained some soldering experience at least. :lol:
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Attached is the BoM for parts from US suppliers.

@Mark, do you want to merge it with yours, or keep it separate? Best to give it the once over as well.
Attachments
DKW USA MTX power supply unit - parts list V1.zip
(17.1 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi :D

I'll take a look on Friday (I'm on late turn duty today [Wednesday] and tomorrow [thursday])...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol: