FDXB

Everything about Andy Key's REMEMOrizer
wyerd

FDXB

Post by wyerd »

Can the REMEMOrizer run FDXB.COM? I've tried both versions from Dave's site and all I get is a black screen on the A/V channel.
Martin A

Re: FDXB

Post by Martin A »

It's been a LONG time since I had access to a FDX, but from memory, FDXB puts everything on the 80 column screen by default.

Until you do CRVS & VS to do output through the VDP that side of things is just an uninitialised black screen.
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Martin A wrote:It's been a LONG time since I had access to a FDX, but from memory, FDXB puts everything on the 80 column screen by default.

Until you do CRVS & VS to do output through the VDP that side of things is just an uninitialised black screen.
Martin, I'm using the MTX connected to a REMEMOrizer. When I run FDXB from CP/M, the cursor drops to the next line and carries on blinking with no other prompt - that's why I thought it was supposed to be something on the other display.

Can FDXB run on the REMEMOrizer?
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

I haven't tried FDXB on the Rememorizer. I've not got it on the SD card to test.

However I DO have a partial disassembly, and it looks like FDXB does it's own disc handling (it certainly trashes the CPM low memory) so I suspect the answer is its not compatible.
Dave

Post by Dave »

As far as I can remember.......

FDXB expects to see an FDX SM1 disk controller, I don't think that REMEMOrizer emulates that, so FDXB will fail

Regards
Dave
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

OK. Thanks Dave.
AndyKey

Post by AndyKey »

I have previous considered patching FDXB.COM to make a REMEMOTECH/REMEMOrizer version.

It actually overwrites/replaces CP/M, and therefore includes its own driver for the disk.

Maybe one day I get back to looking at this...

{{{ Andy
{{{ Andy
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

This might help build FDXB for ReMemorizer. It's all in the format my Acorn based assembler uses, so might take a little bit of work to get it into a more standard format.

I was looking at doing something similar for CFX, but I've not yet managed to get my head around the 80 Column video sections.

The Disc part doesn't look that complicated, there's a pretty much complete implementation of CPM's BDOS and the same USER code that SDX uses. I looks like it just needs the low level routines replaced.
Attachments
BuildMTX.zip
(87.38 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

@Andy - I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at it. Thanks!

@Martin A - Hopefully Andy will be able to make use of your code. Thanks!