MFX mass-storage add-on - Storage Enhancement Request

Posts related to the MFX Interface
Post questions about MFX and raise any issues or problems here
Dave

Re: MFX mass-storage add-on - Storage Enhancement Request

Post by Dave »

SD CARD PARTITION SUPPORT - RELEASED JANUARY 2024

Earlier in this thread, Bill noted that it was technically possible for MFX to support SD cards with both CP/M and FAT partitions and to enable MFX to transfer files between the two.

Bill has now taken this forward and added this functionality to the MFX ROM (Version 14/01/24). Existing MFX owners who have an EPROM programmer can download a copy of the revised ROM from the MFX Firmware page, along with a copy of Bill’s fatcopy program for transferring files between the CP/M and FAT32 partitions.

http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/ ... mfx_fw.htm

This functionality is implemented entirely in the MFX ROM, it is not necessary to upgrade the FPGA firmware to take advantage of this enhancement. Usage of the fatcopy program is described in the updated MFX Operator’s Guide on this page

http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/ ... _usage.htm

I have labelled this latest firmware as a “beta” release, but it has been thoroughly tested and believed to be stable.

[UPDATE: 21/01/24
Bill has now incorporated the Extended Storage ABI into the CFX and CFX-II ROMs. The updated ROM firmware for those expansions can be downloaded from the relevant CFX/CFX-II firmware page.]

For anyone that doesn’t have an EPROM programmer, you can send the EPROM back to me and I will reprogram it free (you just pay the cost of return postage), though a better option might be to buy a replacement EPROM from me which means that you won’t be without your MFX while the EPROM is in transit and you have a fallback should any issues appear with the new firmware, if you need a new EPROM, send me a message and I will confirm the cost of the chip and postage.

(The updated Operator’s Guide also contains details of additional graphics modes that Bill has developed for MFX. Whilst the updated ROM provides support for controlling these additional graphics modes, they will only work when the FPGA firmware has been upgraded to Version 2.0 and above. Further details on the FPGA update will be provided in a separate post shortly).

Regards
Dave
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Great news. I have a pristine and as yet, unused, EPROM programmer for such an occasion!

I'll have a crack at this later this week.

And BTW, Happy New Year, Dave.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Post by Dave »

gunrock wrote: 16 Jan 2024 11:32 And BTW, Happy New Year, Dave.
Thank you - and to you too :)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

For those of us that have four EPROM programmers, but where two are kaput (*), it does mean (a) finding the back-up, or digging out the older parallel programmer (at least I know where this is, I just currently can't get to the dinosaur PC it's attached to, as it's behind other stuff including a pile of Atari STFM/STes and QLs).

(*) my favourite ran down it's main and backup cell/battery, and then crashed when I tried to reload the firmware :twisted:
The other is rather ancient and is mainly a EPROM copier - most likely needs new capacitors. I would also need to learn how on Earth it actually works...

And of course, I currently don't have much spare time.

Oooh, an electronic tinkerers dilemma... :shock: :?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol: