Loading Software via the MTX Cassette Port

About original Memotech hardware.
Dave

Loading Software via the MTX Cassette Port

Post by Dave »

PLACEHOLDER FOR WHAT IS HOPED WILL BE AN ACTIVE DISCUSSION TOPIC

Whilst there are a number of emulated disk systems available for the MTX, including REMEMORizer, CFX and MFX, some MTX users still choose to use the cassette port for loading software, either using legacy cassette players or more modern audio devices. These methods often result in some frustration and disappointment; issues such as degraded audio tapes, failing cassette players, poor quality audio files and even MTX hardware failures are common.

The purpose of this thread is initiate a discussion around the use of the MTX cassette port and for users to share their experiences, good and bad, in the hope that any useful learnings can be shared with other MTX users.

Obviously, one, if not the most, common problem with using the cassette port is that prerecorded MTX tapes are now around 40 years old and many have degraded to the point where they are unusable, particularly if they have been stored in less than ideal conditions, such as lofts and sheds. Sadly, there is not much than can be done in this situation, though other threads on the forum may be helpful to users trying to clean up degraded tapes.

Similarly, there are other, better, threads on this forum which discuss issues with the MTX tape interface hardware and the intention of this thread is not to discuss MTX hardware issues or how to find and/or repair legacy cassette tape players; these becoming pretty rare now and prone to a range of issues that are only going to get worse (think broken/perished drive belts, damaged heads, etc.).

It is my hope that this thread can be used to capture "best practices" for using alternative methods to providing audio input to the MTX cassette port using sound files, such as .wav etc.

Please describe the method(s) that you use to communicate with the MTX tape interface, the hardware that you are using, audio format(s) used, issues experienced and any fixes that you have used to improve the situation.
gunrock

Re: Loading Software via the MTX Cassette Port

Post by gunrock »

Can't offer too much as I have never loaded or saved to cassette on my Memotech. Interestingly (for me, at least!), I tried to repair a cassette deck I picked up locally but even after replacing the belt and some cogs, another issue persisted in the transport system. I bought another, identical unit to try and cobble together a single working one, but until I get some more time, I am still tapeless.

I am very interested in Nassim's custom CaSDuino-type device. It'd be great if he could share more details.

Greetings, BTW, Dave. Hope all is well with you.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Steve,

I’m fine thanks and trust that you are too?

Yes, I am hoping that Nassim can add some detail here

Regards
Dave
acsi

Post by acsi »

Call me nostalgic but although I do have various CF and SD solutions for my machines I do love loading from tape.
It's been awhile though since I've had an MTX out but thanks to Nassim I was able to load Football Manager and save/load the game state.
I went through a stage of buying MTX tapes and have a bit of a collection. From memory all but one work fine.
And not that there has been any MTX software released on Cronosoft for the MTX but I do tend to purchase any Vic20 or ZX81 releases as well as the odd Spectrum game.

This is the main tape deck I use and it's still working perfectly.
Screenshot 2024-06-15 143459.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-15 143459.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 5439 times
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

No tapes left here, they were all donated to an MTX collector up in Scotland, Dave somebody??

I do have a tape deck somewhere, it was good enough 10 years or so ago to sample a couple of the rarer tapes (Ruthless B & Superbike) that got converted to MTX files for the archives.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I have three working mono ‘shoebox’ cassette tape decks (not including Commodore Datasettes or those built-in to computer systems). One of which is my original from the early 1980s.

However, I only occasionally load from tape (because I don’t have many) and it’s been a while since I did. I will say that it’s easier than loading from cassette on a MTX than a ZX81!

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Autumn is here. Bye bye summer 2024...

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
acsi

Post by acsi »

Possibly the last tapes I'll buy but I just got a bunch more tapes and have had a go at loading them all. About 60/40 but my Tape deck pictured above now doesn't produce any sound so I had to break out my W H Smith deck.
Of the 40% which didn't load on the first pass I have found one so far which starts loading ok but then clogs the head within a minute dropping the volume so I gather the tape is deteriorated too far.
A bit more testing to go when I get time and then I need to look at the Sanyo deck to see if I can fix it.
Once I know what I have that does load I will leave a list here in case anyone wants samples.
Nassimbakir

Post by Nassimbakir »

Dave wrote: 13 Jun 2024 22:12 Hi Steve,

I’m fine thanks and trust that you are too?

Yes, I am hoping that Nassim can add some detail here

Regards
Dave
Hi MTX lovers.

first of all, sorry for the long time to act as i was busy with other machines (ZX spectrum,Texas Ti99/4A, Commodore 16 with 5.25 disk...), but nothing will fell the place in my heart than a real MTX machine and the sound of its wave files.
as i said to Dave before, it took me almost a year to clean, repair & build parts with assembly code for some of the audio files to reach a complete set (almost i think) of all MTX .wav files in digital recording that will load at any recorder or device first time with the right volume of course. all these .wav files was sent to Dave to upload at his website for all of us to share (work not done yet Dave ...why?)...

i built a solution to replace the old tape player to skip all problems with old cassette player that Dave mentioned , and at the same time to enjoy the nostalgia with .wav files, i called it "Wave Player". it plays .wav files threw Arduino with simple Amp. built in and at a volume pre adjusted with 4 buttons as Up,Down,Play & Stop , all shown on a screen 4cmX2.6cm to select from and play . of course using the wave cable input slot onthe MTX .i printed a case for it and plug it to the left side of the MTX board to collect Power only. dont forget the SD card with all the .wav files on it.
pictures down...

although, i'm enjoying my MFX expansion board from our beloved Dave. it is really a fantastic upgrade for MTX's . and it works perfectly.
i also printed a CFX board with all its components and jumpers , printed case also , but still struggling with the drive speed ( BTW, i got an original disks from sir Andy - thank you sir)..... still need work but im on it ( any ideas will be great. thanks)...

enjoy.
Attachments
full set on my disk
full set on my disk
complete set-2.jpeg (137.61 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
wave player along with cassette player
wave player along with cassette player
waveplayer-with casset player.jpeg (244.5 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
wave player printed case
wave player printed case
waveplayer.jpeg (232.93 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Nice 8-)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Autumn is here. Bye bye summer 2024...

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
acsi

Post by acsi »

That WAV player looks fantastic Nassim, well done.

Here is a list of tapes I have if anyone wants a WAV created.

Astromilon
Nemo
Pothole Pete
Kilopede
Minefield
Continental Raiders
Music Pad
Backgammon
Alice
Obloids
Pontoon & Blackjack
Phaid
Mission Alphatron
Reversi
Knuckles
Snaki
Toado
Blobbo
Chess
Draughts
Maxima

In the latest haul these ones load
Reveal
Star Command
Highway Encounter
Superbike
Jumping Jack Flash
Tournament Snooker
Combat
MTX Datafile
Memotech Users Club - Mice
Memotech Users Club - TNT (haven't been able to execute it as I think it requires a Poke before loading)
Memotech Users Club - Quasimodos Bells
Memotech Users Club - Hanoi
Memotech Users Club - Journey into Danger
Memotech Users Club - TextEd

And these ones fail loading
Ghostly Castle
Karate King (32 and 64 versions)
The Caves of Orb
Dr Franky
Miner Dick