Available for order

Everything about Martin Allcorn's Games ROM
Dave

Re: Available for order

Post by Dave »

Andy,

Are you able to run other games on this machine?

Does this machine work with REMEMOrizer?

Are you using the original MTX ROMs or Andy's replacements?

regards
Dave
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Hi Dave, I haven't tried other games, or a Rememorizer, I'm afraid. All standard ROMs therefore. (I have another 512 which I use Rememorizer with.)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Andy,

we have not tried this (yet), but Martin thinks that MAGROM should work OK with the REMEMOrizer ROMs, could you try MAGROM in palce of REMEMOrizer please?

regards
Dave
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

The game menu should appear when the space bar is held on reset or power-up, whatever the setting of the jumper. As that part of the system runs as ROM 7, and is independent of the jumper setting.

The Jumper just selects the memory page that the game store part of the ROM appears in. If it's set wrong "bad things" happen when you select a game to play. as either

a) There's no ram at 8000 (hex) to run the game in. which happens if the jumper is set too too large a memory, ie MTX512 on an MTX500 or

b) There's both ram and the game store in 4000-7FFF and so the game is corrupted on "loading". which happens if you set it too low.

The screen shot is interesting, as it looks like a crash in Magrom in the rom to ram transfer. It's not what I would expect to see if the jumper setting was too "high", (I only have a working MTX500 here I can't test for too "low") as that usually shows the PC of the crash as in the 8000+ area when the Z80 tries to jump into empty space.

The Program counter is showing as 20BF which in the ROM 7 code is within the loading routine, its the address of the LDIR instruction that does part of the actual rom to ram transfer.( Panel has disassembled it incorrectly, as it sees itself in that memory area and not rom 7.)

The stack pointer FD42 is where I would expect it to be at that point in the loading routine too

The A register is CB which is the 2nd "sector" of Cosmic Raiders, and at that point in the code the first sector has been loaded.

HL is 5844, which is 44(hex 68 in decimal)) bytes into where Sector CB appears in the rom store when sectors C8 to CF are paged in.

BC is 7BC which is where it should be if 44h bytes have been transferred (as it counts down from 0800 to 0)

DE however should be 886D and not 8232 at that point in the transfer.

That particular panel display looks like it's reporting something funny happening part way through the execution of the LDIR block transfer instruction. And possibly a data corruption getting the program start address from the data rom too.

What's causing it I cant tell form here.

Peek 64122 should confirm how much ram the system itself sees, which may not always agree with what's actually there.
0 on a 500, 1 for a 512 and 3 for the RS128. (anything else and Magrom wont work)
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

Dave wrote:Hi Andy,

we have not tried this (yet), but Martin thinks that MAGROM should work OK with the REMEMOrizer ROMs, could you try MAGROM in palce of REMEMOrizer please?

regards
Dave
It should work internally, with the Re-memorizor providing the system roms or with the standard roms.

It wont work externally if the system rom has been pulled and was being provided by the now unplugged re-memorizor....
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks Martin, the memory peek returns 1.
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

Ok, that confirms the jumper should be set "east-west" across the middle 2 pins, as the system is seeing the 64k ram of an MTX512.

It's worth doing a physical check, that all the chips are still tight in the sockets, and that there are no "foreign objects" inside the edge connector.

I put together 6 boards in that batch for Dave, they were all briefly tested before I sent them off. They were all run through a couple of reset/load game/play game cycles without any problems. That was on the external connector only for the double sided ones.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Andy,

I tried one of the other boards in that batch this evening and it worked fine in my MTX512 (the 500 with the 32k RAM board)

Would it be possible to try REMEMOrizer on this MTX?
(You could leave the ROMs in and re-pin REMEMOrizer not to supply the ROM replacements)

regards
Dave
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I will try Dave, as well as try the MAGROM internally, and in the other machine. It won't be quick though unfortunately as my other machine is in storage at a different address currently.

I really appreciate your help btw guys, I'm quite sure this is a machine problem rather than MAGROM problem.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Andy,

no problem, just when it's convenient for you, it would just be good to be able to work out whether the problem was definitely machine related,

regards
Dave