Available for order

Everything about Martin Allcorn's Games ROM
1024MAK

Re: Available for order

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Andy

I have just read through what has been posted. I don't see any comments about the MTX edge connector. Is it clean / has it been cleaned?

Also does this MTX work with simple BASIC programs. A simple test is to use a BASIC program that fills up an array ( DIM ) and then tests that the array still holds the same values.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks Mark, the machine does run simple BASIC programs so works to some degree at least. I'll double check the edge connector later.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark,

have you had a chance to try yours yet?

regards
Dave
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Ok I cleaned all contacts, reseated chips, tried internal as well, still get the same behaviour unfortunately. Each game fails with a consistent symptom, but each is a little bit different. Arcazians (I forget the spelling!) actually gets to the game title screen, but pressing 1 or 2 to start the game does nothing. I guess this MTX is effectively dead, perhaps memory chip related.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Dave wrote:Mark,

have you had a chance to try yours yet?

regards
Dave
No, it's sat on the side of the workbench :-(
At the moment the distractions (apart from work, family and other real life stuff) are a Plus 2 (Acorn Electron), modifying a Logic3 Arcade Controller designed for a Nintendo Wii to work as a joystick on retro computers (including making the leads for a BBC/Electron, Atari standard connectors and Amstrad/Sinclair lead for a +2 or +3), two faulty Saga Elite keyboards (ZX Spectrum), ZX80 Core (PCB also on the side of the workbench), Harlequin clone PCB & parts (guess where!), oh, and my replacement MTX PSU that I must finish testing (when I remember to solder up the DIN test lead).

Damn. Now why did you make me list all that... :shock: :x :lol:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

Martin A wrote:
Dave wrote:Hi Andy,

we have not tried this (yet), but Martin thinks that MAGROM should work OK with the REMEMOrizer ROMs, could you try MAGROM in palce of REMEMOrizer please?

regards
Dave
It should work internally, with the Re-memorizor providing the system roms or with the standard roms.

It wont work externally if the system rom has been pulled and was being provided by the now unplugged re-memorizor....

UPDATE:

I did some testing, Magrom WONT work with re-memorizor. There's no clash with the startup system of holding shifts to stop re-memorizor going to CPM and Space to boot magrom.

What is an issue is re-memorizor makes too much(!) memory available to ROM mode, PEEK (64122) gives a result of 11. Magrom only works with 0, 1 or 3.
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

AndyGarton wrote:Ok I cleaned all contacts, reseated chips, tried internal as well, still get the same behaviour unfortunately. Each game fails with a consistent symptom, but each is a little bit different. Arcazians (I forget the spelling!) actually gets to the game title screen, but pressing 1 or 2 to start the game does nothing. I guess this MTX is effectively dead, perhaps memory chip related.
Or maybe power related, if it works OK with nothing plugged in, and then fails with "something" on one of the expansion ports, it could be power related. "Something" could be Magrom/REMEMOrizor plugged in externally, or one of the internal RAM/RS232 boards

A simple test program

10 PRINT TIME$
20 GOTO 10

can be left running for a bit, both with and without expansions to check stability.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks Martin, that runs ok (I only tried it with expansions, i.e. 32k card and MAGROM, both internal).