Case/Extension Cable?

Everything about Andy Key's REMEMOrizer
AndyKey

Re: Case/Extension Cable?

Post by AndyKey »

I agree cables could introduce signal quality issues.
Observe the buffering added either side of the MTX FDX ribbon cable because of this.

Doing a new board layout is possible, but as Mark observes, because of component clearance concerns, a larger board would result, and thus costs.
I might also need to use straddle (not right angle) edge connectors, which are also more expensive.
There would still be the problems of accessing the SD Card slot and the buttons on the GODIL.

The other point about the market size is also a fair concern.

I do have some time, but at the moment I'm not sure this is a viable proposition.
{{{ Andy
JonB

Post by JonB »

I'm going to print a case for it... this is a prototype side to enable me to check measurements of my model against the real thing.

Recognise the shape?
Recognise the shape?
Prototype MTX Cover.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 6585 times

I will make STLs available on Thingiverse once it is all done, and offer the cases for sale in case (geddit??) any of you don't have a 3D printer. A preliminary examination of the Rememorizer v.3 which I have indicates that it will only be necessary to modify the two jumper wires that connect the GODIL at the front to the carrier board, as they stick up too far. Might be able to get away with simply bending the pins to lie flat.. we will see.

Cheers mateys
JonB
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Jon,

great stuff - this is something that I had intended to do for a long time, but failed, for two reasons :

1. I have absolutely zero 3D modelling skills, and
2. I couldn't be ar**ed :)

regards
Dave
JonB

Post by JonB »

I'm using TinkerCAD so it's a piece of cake. The MTX case's side profile is geometrically very simple so that definitely helps. I've only just got this 3D printer - it's a Creality CR6-SE from Kickstarter - so I've been on the lookout for useful things to do with it in between fiddling with Superbrains. I'm currently printing a copy of the side panel (the one with the edge connector cutout) and it should complete in 10 mins or so. The model has 4 layers but for sizing I can stop at 2.

Then I need to work out where to put mounting structures for the Rememorizer board. It doesn't have any mounting holes and the SD card position is.. errm.. "unfortunate". But I think I should be able to do it without drilling the board.

Meanwhile the first prototype has finished printing.

Hmmm... adjustments required methinks!
Hmmm... adjustments required methinks!
Prototype 1.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
JonB

Post by JonB »

Well it's taking longer than anticipated but here we are..

Model so far.JPG
Model so far.JPG (51.55 KiB) Viewed 6578 times

The top half of the case is hidden so that you can see how the PCB is mounted. For access to the VGA and SD card slot I am thinking of separating the case and having the top half snap fit to the bottom, or hinged in some way. This means the SD card and VGA plug will not be visible; you will just have the VGA cable exiting the rear of the case.

How does that sound?
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have not tried it, but have you thought about using something like this to bring the SD card slot outside the case, perhaps attached to the top, or side, of the case with a sticky pad?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LANMU-Extensio ... B01C8EDHE6

regards
Dave
JonB

Post by JonB »

It's not necessary - the case is a clip on now, and you can get to the SD card easily. Besides, how many times are you going to want to pull the card?
JonB

Post by JonB »

Anyone brave enough...?

MTX512 Rmemorizer Case.zip
(53.81 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I’m waiting in case there’s a hiccup :lol:

Sorry, couldn’t think of any other case to use that!

Looking good so far, but I don’t have a 3D printer, so will wait for more pictures :mrgreen:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
JonB

Post by JonB »

You know me Mark, always happy to oblige..!

This is looking very promising...
This is looking very promising...
Bottom case fitted.jpg (92.26 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
Underneath it is something like 1mm too low.
Underneath it is something like 1mm too low.
Bottom case underside.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
Rear shot, showing VGA cable notch.
Rear shot, showing VGA cable notch.
Bottom case rear.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 6564 times

I am printing the top cover at the moment. 8 hrs. So a couple of points - There's a layer shift halfway along the bottom case (printing artefact). It's not shifted the whole layer though, just at one side, which is unusual. The other thing is the metal plate on the side of the MTX has these domed screws that are getting in the way. In the pictures, I have removed it so as to better see how close to the MTX case profile it is. But I think I will have to model in some domed cut outs to enable the case to be fitted hard up against the MTX case with the side cover in situ. Either that or you could remove the domed screws. I did think the metal cover could be attached to the opposite end of the Rememorizer case but remember it has the card slot (which wouldn't look pretty - unless I also print a cover for that. Hmm....).

Another thing that ought to be done is to replicate the channel running along the top of the MTX case (where the Memotech logo and pin stripes sit). It'd be cool to have a printed REMEMORIZER logo on a pinstripe in the MTX font. I mean extremely cool.

I was showing the MTX to my daughter's boyfriend yesterday. He said he couldn't take his eyes off it, it is so cool. And then proceeded to enthuse about gutting it and putting a Raspberry Pi inside it for the coolest Linux box in the world. He's right of course, and such a mod could easily be reversed. So sod the Pi 400 with its crappy keyboard, MTX Pi is the way forward!

I don't suppose anyone has a spare case & keyboard?