Dave from London

Section where new members can tell us a little bit about themselves (and their own set-up) and existing members can say "hello and welcome" to them?
davesnowdon

Dave from London

Post by davesnowdon »

Hi folks!

I'm Dave and currently living in London with my wife, two children, dog and a collection of robots.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum when I was a teenager, but I saved up enough from part-time jobs to buy a Memotech MTX 512. I don't remember exactly which year but probably around 1985. I remember enjoying using it way more than the ZX Spectrum and wrote various programs in Z80 assembler as well as BASIC and Noddy. However, the Amiga came along and took my attention away from the Memotech and it's been in cupboard for years.

A year ago I went to the Retro Computing Festival in Cambridge and someone there had a Memotech and caused me to remember this computer that I'd enjoyed using many years ago. I'm in the middle of restoring an Enterprise 64, but once that's done I'd like to get my old Memotech up and running again.

I run the London Retro Computing meetup group https://www.meetup.com/London-Retro-Computing/ Since the pandemic most of our meetings have been online so the "London" bit of the name isn't that relevant any more :D I'm always interested in speakers on all things retro computing. We've not had anyone talk about or demo a Memotech before so please let me know if you'd be interested in doing so.

Not relevant to this forum, but I also run the RoboHack meetup group https://www.meetup.com/robohack/ and forum https://robohack.org.uk/ in case anyone else here is also interested in robotics.
Dave

Re: Dave from London

Post by Dave »

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum!

If you have any issues with your MTX when you get aro7nd to trying it, don’t hesitate to ask for help here

Regards
Dave
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Welcome!

BTW, you may have to choose a new name, because like in Highlander, when it comes to Daves - there can only be one! :lol:
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello Dave (no, not the one with millions of Memotech’s).

Welcome to the forum for the big black beautiful beast!

I’ve been tinkering with Memotech’s since the 1980s too.

Oh, and I wouldn’t know anything about robots and robotics, especially not here (the videos including the last one are also on Youtube, the first one is here).

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

Welcome, It's nice to see there's another MTX out in the wild.

It needs to be out and tested ahead of the Enterprise!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hello Dave,

The person with the Memotech was me! :-)

19BE84C1-B510-4C78-8F3C-30FF2755103D.jpeg
19BE84C1-B510-4C78-8F3C-30FF2755103D.jpeg (680.22 KiB) Viewed 43148 times

I'll be back with my two MTX machines this year celebrating the 40th anniversary of the MTX's release.
davesnowdon

Post by davesnowdon »

Hi Stephen, I look forward to seeing you again then. I'll be back for the Retro Computing Festival too