48 line mode?

Everything about Andy Key's REMEMOrizer
1024MAK

Re: 40 line mode?

Post by 1024MAK »

But you may want to post a cliff hanger of a half question (Oh! You've done half that :shock: ) but include a link to the real question on this here forum ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
JonB

Post by JonB »

Dave wrote:Jon,

just to be clear - you are doing this under CP/M aren't you?

The 48 line text mode is for CP/M - allowing you to run Newword in 48 line mode.
It doesn't change the MTX 40 column screen.

You knew that yes?

Regards
Dave
Yes, Dave. I would like to interact with CP/M in 48 line mode (not just NEWWORD). I know the blasted VDP won't let me have 80x48 fun on a TV screen! Curse it! I'm gonna kick its digital backside, just as soon as I learn how to program it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

JonB wrote:
Yes, Dave. I would like to interact with CP/M in 48 line mode (not just NEWWORD). I know the blasted VDP won't let me have 80x48 fun on a TV screen! Curse it! I'm gonna kick its digital backside, just as soon as I learn how to program it!
OK - just thought I'd check.

Now - get to that VDP ass kicking!

- we're looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour :-)

regards
Dave
JonB

Post by JonB »

Well, I resorted to emailing Andy to ask.

80 column mode is ESC-Y ESC-Z.. (now, who suggested it was CTRL, Dave?) :D

The BASIC colour switch requires a patched ASSEM ROM, so I asked if he might share the details as I have a burner here. Fingers crossed...

I think you are in for a long wait, Dave!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yeah,

I was just about to reply, but you edited your post.

OK - I'm sorry, I made a mistake.

Shock - horror - I'm not perfect - quelle surprise!

I've given up waiting for the postman to delivery anyway!

regards
Dave

p.s. - I do feel slightly less badly when I point out that the manual is correct in this regard
JonB

Post by JonB »

Heh heh... You should see some of my blunders!

Edit: regarding your delivery, it's just a matter of not having the time to do it. Right now I have my hands full at home, and I commute 4 hours a day during the week. But don't lose faith, you'll get it!

Edit 2: I just reread your post. I meant a long wait for "the fruits of my labours", if by that you mean "a new game", not "a long wait for a copy of the Holy Book".

Cheers

JonB
AndyKey

Re: 48 line mode?

Post by AndyKey »

REMEMOTECH and REMEMOrizer have 80 column card hardware that supports a 48 line mode that the original 80 column card never supported.
The CRT screen driver in the CP/M boot ROM supports <Esc>Y and <Esc>Z sequences to switch between 24 and 48 line modes.
You can just type these in to the CP/M prompt, in which case they'll appear as ^[Y or ^[Z, and then hit RET.
CP/M will spit them back out as bad commands, thus causing the driver to interpret them, and hey presto, the screen changes.

A character cell is 8 pixels wide by 10 pixels high.
So 80*8 x 48*10 = 640x480, which is the VGA resolution.
When running in 24 line mode, each scan line is output twice, as 24x10 is only 240 lines, and we need 480.
So the hardware enhancement to support this is trivial, and the only real cost is the extra screen memory needed.

If you are working in 48 line mode, then use N48.COM instead of N.COM when you run NewWord, as N48.COM is configured for 48 lines.

In a REMEMOrizer video, I turned the MTX BASIC 40 column text colours from white on blue to white on black.
I did this so that I didn't get such ugly banding on the video, due to the frame rate mismatch between the TV and video camera.
To do this, I patched address 381E from F5 to F1 in the ASSEM ROM.
Patching 3817 from FD to something else would change the colour used by PANEL.
As the ROM starts at 2000, the offset into the ROM is 2000 less than the addresses I quote above.
Unfortunately, as this is the ASSEM ROM (in ROM slot 1), this effect cannot be achieved on REMEMOrizer using the REZPATCH command.
So I actually programmed and plugged in an alternative ROM.
(The lengths I have to go to in order to make a youtube video...)
{{{ Andy
JonB

Post by JonB »

Yep, that is what I will do (program a new patched ROM).

In your video it looks like you just typed a command to change the colours. I guess this switched in your patched rom.

Thanks Andy!
AndyKey

Post by AndyKey »

Before doing the video, I actually typed a control sequence to temporarily turn the screen white on blue.
Then when I hit enter, BASIC turns it back to its choice, which due to the patch, was white on black.
{{{ Andy
JonB

Post by JonB »

Ah ha... sneaky...

Now I need to grab an 8k EEPROM. Got loads of 32K ones here (27256 I think), but no 8K.. Can I fit a 27256 to the ASSEM socket on the board (with mods), I wonder..? Probably not.