Hello from Huddersfield, and a couple of queries…

Section where new members can tell us a little bit about themselves (and their own set-up) and existing members can say "hello and welcome" to them?
RichardHallas

Hello from Huddersfield, and a couple of queries…

Post by RichardHallas »

Hello everyone,

I'm Richard Hallas, I'm a retro computer enthusiast, and my main roots are in the Acorn and Sinclair worlds, though I'm interested in all old platforms, really. My history in outline is as follows:

1980/81: First computing experiences on a borrowed Commodore PET 2001 (with Scrabble-tile keyboard and inbuilt datasette) – loved it, even though, with hindsight, Commodore BASIC 2 was appalling!
1980: Got a ZX81 and learnt basic BASIC (and at least Sinclair BASIC was decent)
1982: Got a 48K Spectrum and a BBC Model B (yes, I was lucky…)
1980s: Also had some limited experience on other people's machines: Commodore Plus/4 and Amstrad PCW 8256
1986: Got a Spectrum 128 and a BBC Master 128 Turbo (yes, I was lucky again…)
1987–90: At university (studying music with maths as a second subject): got experience on System 6 Macs and Windows 2/3.0 PCs. The Macs crashed all the time and the PCs were just unspeakably awful. Used mainly a Mac SE/30 and it was a great little machine (despite the crashes).
1990: Got the computer of my dreams as a 21st birthday present: an Acorn Archimedes A410/1. Also got a Mac LC for work, though it had little use as I was on the Archimedes almost all the time.
1994: Upgraded to an Acorn Risc PC600 and an Apple Mac Performa 5200

So, from the 80s onwards I've usually been a dual-platform user: first Sinclair & Acorn, then Acorn & Apple. These days I'm almost exclusively a Mac user (currently on a 27" iMac), though I have Parallels Desktop for when I need Windows (not often), and I still have working RISC OS (Acorn) machines that get used too. I've never liked Windows, and avoid it as much as possible even now.

During the 1990s and well into the 2000s I was very heavily involved in the 32-bit Acorn world. I wrote for virtually all the magazines back then, and ended up as editor of RISC User magazine, which was probably the best quality publication at the time. I nearly ended up working for Acorn, in fact (we were in discussions about various things when everything went pear-shaped at Acorn in 1998 and the computer division shut down). In 1999 I set up a CD-ROM magazine called Foundation RISC User, which ran until 2006. At that point, I was supposed to go off and write the official history of Acorn, having been promised financial backing by Hermann Hauser (founder of Acorn). Unfortunately, after I'd given up my job in order to make a serious start on the project, Hauser reneged on his promises to me and let me down totally over the promised funding, so there was no way forward and the whole project fell apart. Plus, I was also left without a job or income. So much for the trustworthiness of famous multi-millionaires.

Computers have always been a serious hobby rather than something I've studied formally, which puts me at a bit of a disadvantage in some ways. E.g. I'd love to understand more about electronics but I have no background in it at all. Nevertheless I learnt enough about programming to write various applications for RISC OS that got published in various places, and I even contributed a handful of OS components. I was also responsible for the new graphic design work introduced in RISC OS 5 in 2002.

Anyway, that's my computing background.

Back in the 80s I used to love to read general-interest computer magazines like PCW and Your Computer, as well as platform-specific ones for Sinclair and Acorn, as I enjoyed keeping up to date with all the new computers that were coming out. Of all the new machines that I lusted after, the one that excited me most was the Memotech MTX512. It just sounded so high quality. In fact, I'd owned a Memotech 16K RAM pack for my ZX81, and I liked the way it was designed in a stylish aluminium enclosure. The Memotech computers were the same thing on a grand scale. They got really good reviews, too, and I wanted one, and for the platform to be a success.

Of course, that isn't how things worked out, and I never even saw a Memotech machine other than in pictures. However, I continued to want one, purely for interest and to tinker with.

Just recently, I was lucky enough to be able to acquire an MTX512 in seemingly nice condition. No original box, sadly, but the machine itself looks good, includes the manual in decent condition, and comes with the original power supply and a selection of software on tape (both games and utilities).

UNFORTUNATELY…

I haven't been able to use it yet, because it doesn't include a TV or monitor lead. It also doesn't include its cassette leads. And I haven't been able to locate any definitive information about any of these yet. So, I'm really hoping that people on here might be able to help me.

• I don't have any old CRT TV with which to test the machine (just the modern 4K screen in the living room…), so the TV port is of limited interest/relevance. Unless it can be used to connect to a composite input on a monitor, and I'm just not sure about that. Can anyone tell me?

• I have a monitor with DVI-I inputs and a converter box that I can use to attach machines to it via VGA, HDMI, SCART and (through another plug-in into the SCART port) composite video (the three red, yellow, white plugs – for which I think white is video and red/yellow audio, which is optional). I've successfully seen video from a composite-modded ZX81 via this route.

My questions are:

1. Is there anything I can do with the TV-out port on my MTX512, other than connect it to an old-style TV (which I don't have)? E.g. I have the modded ZX81 which can connect from this port to the white composite plug on my signal converter box (see above), but I don't know what this involves. I imagine it's a straight choice between UHF output and composite output (a mod that's been made to the ZX81, and won't have been made to the MTX)… but this isn't my field, so I thought I should check.

2. I'm expecting to want to use the MTX512's monitor output. However, this is a connector type I've no prior experience of using. BNC type, I think? What can I do with it? I don't have any suitable input for this type of cable, so I'll need to get either (a) a converter of some sort or (b) a new monitor with a BNC input.

In fact, I am quite tempted to get a new small monitor (probably 8") with multiple input types, as that'd be useful. I've seen a few affordable ones that do have a BNC-type composite input. I'd still need a cable, though. So, my questions are:

(a) If I were to want to get a cable for use with my existing equipment (i.e. to connect to VGA, SCART, HDMI or three-plug R/Y/W composite), can anyone recommend something suitable for me to buy, please?

(b) If I were to get a new small monitor for use with the Memotech, then: (i) again, can someone please confirm the type of cable I'm likely to need (as I believe there's more than one type of BNC connector), and (ii) does the monitor need to support any particular frequency? E.g. many 80s computers produce a 50Hz display, and most modern monitors only support 60Hz, so I'm wary of getting a screen that won't work. NB My existing monitor DOES support 50Hz.

3. I'll also want to interface to a cassette recorder. Can anyone tell me where to get MTX-compatible cassette leads, please?

Thanks very much in advance for any help that may be offered…

PS As a final aside… when I started exploring MTX resources on the web a few days ago, I was quite surprised to discover that the MTX User Club Germany was run by Herbert zur Nedden – interested and surprised because I know Herbert through his strong RISC OS connections. I was aware of him only as a prominent European Acorn enthusiast, and I'd no idea he was into Memotech too. Small world.
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner
Acorn and Sinclair enthusiast
Dave

Re: Hello from Huddersfield, and a couple of queries…

Post by Dave »

Hi Richard,

welcome to the group and thank you for the comprehensive "Introduction", it's always nice to see other folks background.

I'm in a rush at the moment, so just a few quick pointers . . .

1. I would not bother with the TV output, as you say, not all TVs will accept it and the MTX RF modulator, like others of the era, will likely have deteriorated with age. You will always get better output from the Monitor connection - it is Composite video, so most TVs will accept it.

2. You just need a BNC to phono adapter - like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194120517781 ... %3A2334524

3. You just need a cable with mono (NOT Stereo!) 3.5mm jack connectors
(There are far better options than tape these days, but I need more time to describe the options, I'm sure others will jump in - Martin?)

regards
Dave

p.s., I maintain a pretty comprehensive website about the MTX - Herbert zur Nedden is the only person in the world still asserting copyright over MTX stuff ! http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/m ... x-info.htm
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Welcome to the board.

Given your Acorn background I would have thought that you'd have recognised the BNC composite port from the back of the Beeb. :-)
RichardHallas

Post by RichardHallas »

Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 14:29 Hi Richard,

welcome to the group and thank you for the comprehensive "Introduction", it's always nice to see other folks background.
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for this helpful initial reply. And I hope I didn't bore anyone with the long intro. I'm never sure how much to write with things like this (probably less than I did…!), but… well, too much info's generally better than not enough! :-)
Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 14:29 2. You just need a BNC to phono adapter - like this
Oh, great – simpler than I feared. Ordered.
Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 14:29 3. You just need a cable with mono (NOT Stereo!) 3.5mm jack connectors
(There are far better options than tape these days, but I need more time to describe the options, I'm sure others will jump in - Martin?)
Sounds like they're probably directly equivalent to the pair of mono 3.5 mm audio leads supplied with a ZX81 or Spectrum – is that right? If so, I've got at least one set of those somewhere.

I'd like to think there might be some sort of SD-card solution, or something akin to a Gotek, for the MTX these days, but I haven't yet stumbled upon any such thing (though my time for investigations has been very limited recently). I'd certainly like to know what the options are. But at the same time, I did acquire a little collection of tapes with the machine, and there's one or two unlabelled ones (perhaps with user software on them?), so it'd be interesting to find out what's there.
Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 14:29 p.s., I maintain a pretty comprehensive website about the MTX - Herbert zur Nedden is the only person in the world still asserting copyright over MTX stuff ! http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/m ... x-info.htm
Thanks – I've already had a brief look at your site, and want to look at it in much more detail as time permits.

Intriguing to hear that Herbert is still asserting copyright on MTX stuff. I knew him through his GAG-News publication (German Archimedes Group), which appears to still be in existence: first published in 1992, apparently issue 178 is due out in November 2021! That's good going. Time passes and the memory grows hazy, so I forget now exactly what Herbert and I corresponded about, but I know I had a feature from him in my own magazine, celebrating ten years of his GAG-News in 2002, and I've a feeling I may have republished a handful of his articles in English translations. There's certainly still an active Acorn community now, though – albeit probably relatively small – so I'm not too surprised that GAG-News is still on the go (and I'm pleased that it is). I am surprised that he can maintain something similar for the MTX, though. That was a niche platform even when Memotech was still around!
Last edited by RichardHallas on 17 Oct 2021 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner
RichardHallas

Post by RichardHallas »

stephen_usher wrote: 17 Oct 2021 19:37 Welcome to the board.

Given your Acorn background I would have thought that you'd have recognised the BNC composite port from the back of the Beeb. :-)
Well, to be strictly accurate, yes – I do, of course, recognise the port from there.

However, the point about the BBC's composite port is that hardly anyone ever used it because it was singularly unhelpful in only outputting a monochrome signal. So unless you only had a mono monitor there was little appeal in using it. Hence I've had machines with BNC ports on them but I've never had occasion to use one until now. The best way to get video out of a BBC is the DIN-type RGB socket.

In fact, there is a relatively easy mod (or so I'm told) that can be made to convert the BBC's composite output to colour. But it's something you have to do to the motherboard, so I've no personal experience of it.
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gotek with Flash Floppy firmware works with MTX, but only if you have an original MTX disk controller - either SDX which are really rare, or FDX, which are even more so.

The only SD card solution for the MTX is Andy Key's REMEMOrizer, but I don't think that Andy has plans to make any more.
http://www.nyangau.org/rememorizer/rememorizer.htm

The currently available "modern" media solution is Compact Flash, see the CFX links on my website. CFX is a product designed by Martin and myself. There is an updated version in the works, well, on the drawing board at least, but it is a long way away from fruition as I don't have any time to spend on it at the moment. CFX is still available.
http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... fx/cfx.htm

Yes, ZX81/Spectrum tape leads will work with MTX

regards
Dave
RichardHallas

Post by RichardHallas »

Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 23:29 The only SD card solution for the MTX is Andy Key's REMEMOrizer, but I don't think that Andy has plans to make any more.
http://www.nyangau.org/rememorizer/rememorizer.htm
Wow! I wish I could still get one of those. What a fantastic interface. I'd be happy to buy one if only I still could, and my only reservation about it would probably be the fact that it's a bare circuit board hanging off the side of the machine, rather than something internal or nicely cased. (I know, I'm superficial…!)
Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 23:29 The currently available "modern" media solution is Compact Flash, see the CFX links on my website. CFX is a product designed by Martin and myself. There is an updated version in the works, well, on the drawing board at least, but it is a long way away from fruition as I don't have any time to spend on it at the moment. CFX is still available.
http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... fx/cfx.htm
Fantastic! Clearly that's a very acceptable alternative to the above, and I'm most certainly very interested. Indeed, I'll say right now that I'll buy one… though of course it would be prudent to wait until I've actually got my machine working and checked it out properly.

I do very much like the fact that there's an option to fit it internally; I'm sure that's what I'll elect to do.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about this. I'll send you a private message in a few days to see about buying one.

By the way, Martin Allcorn… I don't know him personally, but his is certainly a name I've encountered in the Acorn world, and I was interested to see a familiar RISC OS icon on your page! (Indeed, I'm one of those "very few" people who'd be able to assemble your original RISC OS-based firmware code…!) I wonder if he ever subscribed to RISC User…

Concerning the use of CP/M… that's a bit of a stumbling block. Your web page follows the normal convention of talking about Windows and Linux and not mentioning the Mac, which is of course the platform I'd want to use. (I could also use RISC OS, of course, but I certainly wouldn't expect to see that covered! Besides, although RISC OS has traditionally enjoyed a surprisingly wide range of filing system support, I'm not actually aware of a CPMFS for it.)

Anyway, I note the reference to Andy Key's cpmfuse for Linux, and that's semi-frustrating because there's an up-to-date Mac port of FUSE, so in theory having a CP/M filing system on the Mac via FUSE ought to be very straightforward. But I don't think it exists. Perhaps cpmfuse could easily be adapted for MacFUSE… have to investigate when time permits. In the short term, though, I could use either the Linux or Windows solution under Parallels on the Mac.
Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 23:29 Yes, ZX81/Spectrum tape leads will work with MTX
Thanks.
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Welcome to the boards, Richard.

I think it's telling that the MTX was the machine that folks with other systems lusted after. It's a great system, one foot in the general 8-bit micro camp and the other in the CPM business computer camp, but possibly part of it's failure to takeoff, too. Obviously, there were lots of other direct reasons, cashflow and timing to name but two.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
RichardHallas

Post by RichardHallas »

gunrock wrote: 18 Oct 2021 16:26 Welcome to the boards, Richard.

I think it's telling that the MTX was the machine that folks with other systems lusted after. It's a great system, one foot in the general 8-bit micro camp and the other in the CPM business computer camp, but possibly part of it's failure to takeoff, too. Obviously, there were lots of other direct reasons, cashflow and timing to name but two.
It always struck me that the MTX was the rival that the BBC Micro should have had but never did. The BBC had some notable shortcomings because it was so early in the picture (shortage of memory and very few colours being the most obvious), but it was actually a spectacularly well conceived system with the best version of BASIC on any 8-bit platform. It was also perfectly usable as a business computer – and indeed was widely used in that way.

The MTX cost a similar amount of money and was similarly robust (if not more so), and also had similar advanced features like a built-in assembler. It clearly had the potential to be both a fantastic home and educational machine and a really useful business computer. It was easily the most exciting new system in the mid-80s, in terms of its specs and potential. But it remained obscure, got no software to speak of and simply failed to establish itself. I always assumed that this was because of the failed Russian schools deal that one can easily read about online, but I don't really know. I was just sad about it, because I liked Memotech and thought the MTX looked spectacular, even though I never had chance to actually use one.

I was pro-Memotech from an early stage because they were one of the most interesting companies doing hardware add-ons for the ZX81 (and I had their 16K RAM pack for mine). Indeed, I can't think of another company that did anything remotely so interesting with the ZX81. So there was that… and despite my fondness for Sinclair, my natural inclination is always to think that you get what you pay for, so I'd never dismiss a machine like the BBC on the grounds that it was too expensive. I'd be more inclined to assume that there were good reasons for its being expensive (which, in the BBC's case, there were). I thought the same about Memotech: they were clearly trying to produce a really good quality system, not something cheap and nasty, and if I'd been in a position to invest in their system at the time, I probably would have done. (And then I'd have got my fingers burnt and would have tied myself to a niche product! But that's the story of my life. That's what I did with the Archimedes a few years later… and I don't regret it for a moment, as it was indeed the best system by a mile. Besides, it made my life very interesting for a decade and a half, if nothing else.)

Anyway, the MTX could so easily have been a huge success, I'm sure. It had all the right ingredients, including creating a very positive impression with people who were aware of it. It just had bad fortune and inopportune timing.
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner