Does anyone have actual tape copies of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy?

Include new and ported/converted games, and old games/tools. Subjects about CP/M software goes in the CP/M Forum.
SuperFella

Does anyone have actual tape copies of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy?

Post by SuperFella »

Hello. I just mentioned this in a reply elsewhere but it seemed worth a post of its own. I’m trying to run MTX games through MESS on Retropie, and I’ve had a good amount of success by converting .MTX files into .WAVs with AppMake. (For some reason none of the already-existing .WAVs worked, but converting them from .MTX does.) But the two games I want most of all - the unique MTX ports of the Miner Willy games - are putting up a fight.

There only seem to be three .MTX files of the two titles in existence (MM, JSW and a QuickLoad version of JSW), and they all produce errors in AppMake. They still convert, and appear to be loading, but then crash at the end. (MM to a pink screen full of hexadecimal, JSW to a totally corrupted title screen.)

It would be really useful to have “true” .WAV versions, ie audio recorded directly from tape rather than converted from another encoded format, which clearly introduces the possibility of errors, like Google Translating something from English to Arabic and then back again. It would only take five minutes to do both games with any basic sound-recording app. Can anyone help?

(If it’s permitted by forum rules I’d be very happy to upload all the Retropie-friendly converted .WAVs I’ve made.)
thewiz

Re: Does anyone have actual tape copies of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy?

Post by thewiz »

Hi SuperFella,

I have a number of wav files that I produced the mtx files from for both games, however I don't own the actual tapes. If you want to pm me your email, I can try and send them to you via a gmail link.

These two are probably going to stretch MESS as they both load a loading screen and play music while the main code is loading. I don't think this is done on anything else.

Paul.
THIS is what Memotech is doing now.
thewiz

Post by thewiz »

I should add that these don't use the $0aae call for loading. If memory servers they use a copy with a load of copy protection involving xor and the R register.
THIS is what Memotech is doing now.
SuperFella

Post by SuperFella »

thewiz wrote: 15 Jul 2021 22:43 Hi SuperFella,

I have a number of wav files that I produced the mtx files from for both games, however I don't own the actual tapes. If you want to pm me your email, I can try and send them to you via a gmail link.
Done 🙂
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

So, how did it go SuperFella? Did the WAVs work OK, or just the same erratic behaviour?
SuperFella

Post by SuperFella »

They worked beautifully :)
Nassimbakir

Post by Nassimbakir »

hello ..
can i have a copy of those two games please .
nlim131@gmail.com

thanks
Nassimbakir

Post by Nassimbakir »

I wonder why nobody answers …😔
Dave

Post by Dave »

Nassimbakir wrote: 18 Jun 2022 21:43 I wonder why nobody answers …😔
Likely because
1. You did not ask anyone specifically, or
2. A couple of the previous posters to this thread only logged on months ago
(You can check their last long time by looking up their username)
Nassimbakir

Post by Nassimbakir »

thanks Dave, i will PM.