RIP - Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

1024MAK

RIP - Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

Post by 1024MAK »

Today is a sad day, because Sir Clive Sinclair, a pioneer of home computing has died aged 81.

Definitely very sad news :(

May he enjoy the inventors heaven.

>BBC News story

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
wyerd

Re: RIP - Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

Post by wyerd »

Unbelievable. If it wasn’t for him, the home computer revolution of the ‘80s would of never happened. It’s thanks to him I got into computers when my father bought a ZX81.

RIP Sir Clive.
gunrock

Re: RIP - Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

Post by gunrock »

Not sure I agree that "the home computer revolution would never have happened". I think it would have taken longer, cost consumers more and been dominated solely by American and eventually Japanese giants.

And that would have been a shame, because then we'd have missed out on all the idiosyncratic machines from UK companies like Memotech, Jupiter, Oric, Dragon, MGT, Enterprise, Tatung (ok, so UK designed), etc.

Still, he was a true British eccentric and obviously very clever and deserves his place in the pantheon of Great British Inventors and Entrepreneurs, if there is such a thing!

At the very least: he's up there in the Valhalla for 80s computer designers, where they can drink Bovril all day and design ASICs late into the night and worry about cost reduction, case design and bundled software at future date that never comes! :lol:

RIP.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it