MFX mass-storage add-on - Original Thread

Posts related to the MFX Interface
Post questions about MFX and raise any issues or problems here
Potholepete

Re: MFX mass-storage add-on

Post by Potholepete »

Hi Dave, its quite hard to tell the difference really on the lower photo apart from the left most example. Is there a reason why you have excluded the laser cut option? Personally that is what I will be doing so I will not be needing an endplate for my MFX.

Jim
Dave

Post by Dave »

I did say that the photos were not great, but they were the best that I could do. That's why tried to describe what I thought were the most significant differences.

I excluded the laser cut example because I don't have one in the acrylic material, or the capability of making them. If you want to post a photo of yours, then of course, you're welcome to, but as you are likely the only person with a laser cutter, I'm not sure how many others will be able to take advantage of it - unless you are planning on selling end plates ?

regards
Dave

High res photos are available on the webiste here

http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... fx-eng.htm

(Scroll to the bottom of the page)
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

Hi Dave,

I found it hard to get decent photo's of differences when I was using my 3d printer a lot more than I am now so I know what you mean. Re the laser option, I sent you that template and the material sample so you could see how it fitted and also how thick and what it looked like. The unit cost would not be any more than what you have mentioned as well so its down to preference really. I'd like to have one fit the outputs on the board a little better than it currently is though. On the assumption that I can get a good final fit then I could supply you them to send out with the boards if people wanted the laser option, so there will be lots of choice I guess. The only thing I cannot cut on my small laser is clear acrylic which some might like to have!?
Jim
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes, you sent me a template and the blank that you'd cut your end plate from, but I didn't think that there was value in posting those photos as they did not really give much of an idea of how the end plate would actually look.

I also have some reservations on whether a totally flat end plate will do the trick. The 3D printed version has additional support for the SD card and WIZnet modules, though they may not be needed - you'll be able to confirm that when you fit yours. Whilst I'm sure that some people will favour it, personally, I prefer a matt finish to the highly polished acrylic finish, though you may have different materials available too?

If you want to create a "better" end plate, again, feel free - the one that Martin has created is PDG as far as I am concerned and I am happy to supply it as-is. People are free to chose whether they want it or not. To be honest, I consider the 3D printed version more than fit for purpose and want to start shipping MFX as soon as possible, I need to start recovering some of my not-insignificant outlays!
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

Hi Dave,

I shall wait till I get the MFX and then have a play then as it will be far easier to test. I am not a big fan of the gloss finish either but as yet not found a source of matt black to play with esp in 2mm. I chatted with Martin about the lack of supports as it was something that concerned me but it was felt that it should be ok. I'd like a nice clear one and then led light it up inside to show a bit of it off ;-) maybe that will be a project when I finally get the co2 running again.
Jim
Dave

Post by Dave »

OK Jim,

it's getting close now :-)

Having a clear end plate and LEDs is interesting, but I'm not sure that the actual view will be?

This photo shows the view end on (with no end plate fitted)

http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... rofile.jpg

With the cables attached and having to look through the end, it might be a bit awkward? It's not like you'll normally have a good view once its on your desk. - I'll be interested to see it though

regards
Dave
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

I'm just looking to see how (or if) I can attempt to cut some clear on my LED laser as the co2 will be out of service for some time yet.. I've no idea really what you will see or how much but if its doable then why not ;-)
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Hi Dave,

I think the resin looks suitable for the job. I reckon a smoky-black acrylic plexi with leds inside sounds cool but that can be a future upgrade, as far as I'm concerned.

Steve
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

I must admit the resin print is superior to the 3d print I did for Dave in PLA. Hovever, the abliity to print at home did let me print a red end plate to fit the MTX I have with red function keys.

And then for the sheer hell of it: "the Willy Wonka option" as Dave called it, using a gold silk PLA and one in blue just in case anyone has that very early MTX featued in the Your Computer magazine in June 1983.
Img_4596.jpg
Img_4596.jpg (91.83 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Another update. . . . . .

The first “production” MFX is now ready to ship! The intended recipient (you know who you are!) has been notified, so it should be on its way soon.

I have another three boards assembled which just need the plug in modules inserted and then the boards tested before they will be ready to ship too, hopefully, by the weekend.

After that, I will be assembling the boards for the rest of the folks who have expressed an interest in getting an MFX. So, it will likely be another week or so before they are available to ship too.

Please be patient, I’m getting there :)