Can we help the NABU PC people?

stephen_usher

Can we help the NABU PC people?

Post by stephen_usher »

I was wondering if anyone would like to try to help the people attempting to get software on the NABU PC which has just been being sold as a huge number of new-old-stock machines in the USA.

The hardware is very close to the Memotech/MSX but downloads software over a serial port. They can't easily port MSX stuff due to those programs using the BIOS.

This is how far they've got: https://www.youtube.com/@DJSures

It looks like they need program source which hits the hardware directly, which is basically what Memotech assembler programs do. The only difference will be the ports and probably the keyboard stuff and the sound chip, which is an AY-3-8910.

So, does anyone have source to push to the above YouTuber which can be easily ported?
gunrock

Re: Can we help the NABU PC people?

Post by gunrock »

There will be other stuff to consider too, yes? Like whether NMI is used, or if the VDP int is connected up (on the Tatung Einstein they didn't connect it!), etc.

Edit: IIRC, Martin has disassembled some Memotech classics and posted them on here for folks to tweak.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

According to the technical manual http://dunfield.classiccmp.org/nabu/nabutech.pdf the TMS generates an interrupt every frame, so it looks as if it's got interrupts connected.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Looks like the bloke's got in contact with an original NABU engineer and has access to the original software library.
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Actually, I see someone has written an MSX BIOS sitting on top of their "Cloud CP/M" so as to be able to run at least some MSX games "out of the box"...

I wonder if they would like to share their code. ;-)