Dave has moved!

General "chat", not necessarily MTX related
Dave

Re: Dave has moved!

Post by Dave »

Martin A wrote: 04 Nov 2022 13:00 For those that didn't get the reference, the Royal residence at Balmoral Castle is in Aberdeenshire, and that is also west of Aberdeen.
And I bet THEY have internet :(
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Hi Dave,

How's the settling-in going? Have you got yer internet installed yet? :D

Though I suppose, that if the answer is "No", then I guess he won't see this post! :lol:
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi,

"settling in" is taking a little longer than planned (sorry Mark!), there's just so much to do :-)

BT/Openreach continue to disappoint - the latest date for "completion of the work outside my property" is 28th January ! - Assuming that they even deliver on this, connection could be up to 2 weeks after that - if you believe BT of course!

On a slightly more positive note, I do have internet via an EE 4G dongle. It is surprisingly fast (up to 30 Mb/s on a good day), but the biggest issue is that it is wireless only - so PC's with wireless NICs, mobile devices, even the TV all work, but my legacy PCs, servers and MTX can't get a connection at all :-(

By the way - Happy Christmas to all - it's almost here :-)
It was quite festive here, with lots of snow, up until the temperature rocketed in the last couple of days and it's mostly melted now :-(

regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Snow, what’s that?

Only joking, although my town has not had any this winter so far, only ten miles away (further inland) it did snow and it settled. It was around 1cm deep in Bristol. And even more fell on the hills and further north such as Gloucestershire area.

I have a choice of BT/Openreach or Virgin fibre. Virgin put all the plastic tubing (they only put the fibre in when you get their service) a couple of years ago in my area.

Dave, for your non-WiFi devices, can’t you get a WiFi to wired bridge?

Also don’t worry about the projects for the time being. I’ve been rather busy and have recently had the winter lurgy…

The first weeks of January will be busy for me too…

And of course, Merry Christmas to you Dave and indeed to all Memotech fans reading this :D 8-) ☃️🎄 🤶

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

1024MAK wrote: 23 Dec 2022 03:00

Mark
Hi Mark,

I have looked, but couldn't see anything that would do the job, or rather, something that I knew would work with the EE dongle. I'll look again though, as, as good as it is, the dongle not supporting wired connections is a real pain!
Also don’t worry about the projects for the time being. I’ve been rather busy and have recently had the winter lurgy…
Thanks - I'll get to it soon(ish) - honest :-)

regards
Dave
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Merry Christmas Dave and to all the MTX users across the Memotechniverse!

Have a great day.

Like Mark, I have been ill with the Xmas lurgy, but miraculously recovered enough to scoff a full Christmas lunch, so all-in-all not too bad a day. :lol:
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Dave wrote: 23 Dec 2022 18:07

Mark
Hi Mark,

I have looked, but couldn't see anything that would do the job, or rather, something that I knew would work with the EE dongle. I'll look again though, as, as good as it is, the dongle not supporting wired connections is a real pain!
A Raspberry Pi? Either a 4B with built-in WiFi, or a USB WiFi dongle on an earlier Pi.
  • Firstly, connect the RPi to the EE dongle.
  • Use apt to install the "network-manager" package.
  • Run raspi-config (as root). Select "Advanced Options" / "Network Config" / "NetworkManager".
  • Run the command

Code: Select all

sudo nmcli con modify "Wired Connection 1" ipv4.method shared
  • Connect the RPi Ethernet connection to a switch.
  • Connect your wired devices to the same switch.
  • You should be in business.
Edit: I know this will work with the latest version of RPiOS (Bullseye). Network Manager may not be available with earlier versions. The Lite version will be good enough.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Bill,

thanks a lot for that, it is very interesting and I will give it a go - once I manage to dig out my RPi stuff that is!

regards
Dave