Building a replacement MTX PSU

About original Memotech hardware.
gunrock

Re: Building a replacement MTX PSU

Post by gunrock »

Yes, Martin, Mark and Bill that was it. Opened the case and the keyboard pcb end of the cable was off by one pin (unconnected pin was to the left, as viewed looking from end of the MTX with the external edge connector). I didn't notice, but I must have done this when I reassembled after the (very necessary) deep clean of the keyboard.

Point taken Mark, about double-checking before hitting the power button. And yes, the reset buttons did work when pressed even with the cable off by 1 pin.
20210209_143439.jpg
20210209_143439.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
Thanks again folks. I'm going to teach the kids a little Memotech basic tonight and next, I'll need to think about getting a CFX.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Post by Dave »

As Steve noted previously, the transformer that Mark used in his design is no longer available from Rapid (it’s no longer made).

I’ve just had a user from Italy ask me if I know of a replacement, I don’t, but can Steve advise what replacement he used or can Mark suggest an alternative please?

Regards
Dave
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Hi Dave,

The transformer I used was an Indel transformer which is still available (just checked) from tme.eu, which is where i bought it:

https://www.tme.eu/dk/en/details/ts40_0 ... /ts-40-020

It is currently about 18 EUR plus VAT for Italy, whatever that happens to be.

Steve
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yeah, I don’t know of anything else that is suitable. The important point being that an alternative transformer has a suitable primary for your mains voltage and either a 7.5V - 0 - 7.5V centre tapped output, or dual 7.5V secondaries. The “power” rating should be 40VA or above.

If you go to the manufacturers web site (link) they still list part number VTX-126-050-2075. But that does not mean that any are currently available.

As the increasing use of switch mode power supplies (SMPSU) continues, manufacturers of conventional transformers are becoming more limited in the range they have available :(

One alternative would be a redesign, using two transformers. Or one transformer and a separate SMPSU. But then things get even more bulky…

Another possible alternative to the design detailed in this topic, would be to use a completely different technique. But that would be a whole different story…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Please note, above post has just been edited…
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks Mark,

As you say, Vigortronix do still have them listed, but they are not a stock item. They would be able to do a special order for a MOQ of 10 at a cost of around £25 each (+VAT I guess), so there is an option should 10 people be interested (unlikely)

Regards
Dave