First-time Memotech MTX 512 owner in Denmark

Section where new members can tell us a little bit about themselves (and their own set-up) and existing members can say "hello and welcome" to them?
gunrock

First-time Memotech MTX 512 owner in Denmark

Post by gunrock »

Hi all,

I have just, this evening, got my first Memotech MTX computer!

I am a 50 year old British man who lives and works in Denmark. I've been here for four years and enjoy it.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and my first computer was a VIC-20, which I got at Christmas 1982. My first computer love, though was the C64, which I got in 1984, with a 1541 disc drive arriving in 1985.

Having said that, I loved all the systems and would hang around the Anirog shop in Dartford, the Laskys in Bexleyheath and occasionally, the Silica Shop in Sidcup, looking at all the systems on display (the more esoteric, the better), playing on them until I was asked to leave.

My friend from school, Paul L. had a lot of systems: ZX81, Spectrum, Jupiter Ace, Oric-1 and C64, so I got to see a lot of these systems - but we mostly played on the Spectrum.

The Memotech systems, well, I had read about them in magazines like PCW and C&VG, but I never saw one in the flesh but they always looked so premium and sophisticated, especially when coupled with the FDX units! I always hankered after one but went 16bit in 1988 with an Amiga 1000 and that was that.

So today I have changed all that, I have picked up a Danish MTX 512 and need your help!

I bought one without a power supply and plan to make one, however, I wondered if someone local (i.e in the Nordics) would allow me to borrow a spare PSU for a week or two, just to test if the MTX works? If you are in the Greater Copenhagen region, I could pick it up and drop it off, if course.

Also, can you still get a Remorizer from Andy Key? His website seems to be unreachable for me?

Anyway, sorry to be asking for help and favours in my first post, but I'm hoping to get this fine machine working and who knows, maybe I can contribute something back to the community.

Best regards
Steve
Attachments
Serial
Serial
SmartSelect_20201029-225405_Gallery.jpg (118.85 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
Version number
Version number
SmartSelect_20201029-225312_Gallery.jpg (175.78 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
Danish rom
Danish rom
SmartSelect_20201029-225341_Gallery.jpg (214.92 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
20201029_215609.jpg
20201029_215609.jpg (786.94 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Re: First-time Memotech MTX 512 owner in Denmark

Post by Dave »

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your “new” MTX!

Welcome to the group, don’t worry about asking for help, that’s what we’re here for.

I take that you know that the MTX PSU is just a multi-tap transformer? All of the regulation etc. is done on the computer board. Mark Kinsey designed a replacement, you can see the details here http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/ ... psu_mk.htm

Andy’s site has been down for a while, but it’s been a while since he made any REMEMORizers, you may need to settle for a CFX :D http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/ ... fx/cfx.htm

Claus is probably the user closest to you

Regards
Dave
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Thank you for the reply and warm welcome, sir!

Shame about Andy's site being down (I wanted to check out the previous Memofests) and that the Rememorizer is legacy item. I suppose the market is too small. Will definitely check out the CFX (once I have the unit up and running!)

I'm looking at building Mark's PSU but some of the items on the BOM are not available (the transformer for instance). I also have scant electronics knowledge, other than soldering in a few modchips (mostly :o ) successfully.

I was looking at your site, Dave and particularly enjoyed the "where are they now" section. Fun fact, is that I have worked with Richard Aplin back in the late nineties on a PS1 game and can confirm that he was and still is, a total legend!
Steve G
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Steve,

if you scroll down the main page of my Memotech site, you will see a link to an old mirror of Andy's site - the REMEMORizer pages have not changed much since I captured Andy's pages.

As well as the Memofest info on Andy's site, I also have reports from past Memofests on my site - links about half way down my main page

regards
Dave
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Thanks, I'll take look Dave. :D
Steve G
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

Welcome.

There's some memofest reports on here too.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum of the best looking home computer from the 1980s :D

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol: