Hello from Huddersfield, and a couple of queries…

Section where new members can tell us a little bit about themselves (and their own set-up) and existing members can say "hello and welcome" to them?
RichardHallas

Re: Hello from Huddersfield, and a couple of queries…

Post by RichardHallas »

Thanks, Martin. That's very helpful and reassuring.
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner
Acorn and Sinclair enthusiast
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

To remove the BNC plug=adapter requires the use of a small child… :lol:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
RichardHallas

Post by RichardHallas »

Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2021 23:29 The currently available "modern" media solution is Compact Flash, see the CFX links on my website. CFX is a product designed by Martin and myself. There is an updated version in the works, well, on the drawing board at least, but it is a long way away from fruition as I don't have any time to spend on it at the moment. CFX is still available.
http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... fx/cfx.htm
Hello Dave (and Martin),

It's been a long time since my last reply, and that's partly because I've just been experiencing the year from hell, in which all aspects of my life seem to have come crashing down around me, all at once. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that I'm not a happy bunny at the moment, and I've also had essentially no time whatsoever to play about with the MTX512, much as I'd like to.

However, it's still sitting there waiting to be used, and I'll get to it eventually. So, while I'm thinking about it, I might as well bite the bullet and say that I'd like to buy a CFX, please. Looking at your web page above, I see that if I'd initiated this a year ago, when we were talking about it (and as I really should have done), I'd have saved myself a fiver! Tch! Ah well, I don't suppose that'll break the bank. I.e. the price now appears to be £55 + postage. Or is it £60, given that I'd like the internal version?

I'm vaguely tempted to ask for the CF to SD card adapter too, since SDs are indeed more common and convenient than CF cards these days, though I'm not sure how they compare on the robustness, reliability and longevity fronts. Any thoughts? Anyway, if you could perhaps let me know final costs and how to pay you etc., we'll take it from there. I definitely want to buy one.

Any news of the updated version of the CFX, a year on? (Just interested.)

By the way, I did finally take the opportunity to open up my MTX512 the other day and I was pleased to find that there was no additional RAM expansion board inside to bring it up to spec, so I have the full internal expansion width to house the CFX card. Hence, I'd very much prefer an internal one, for neatness, even though it'll make accessing the card a little more difficult. (I wonder… would there be any possibility of making the memory card accessible through the RS232-1 port? Has this ever been considered?)
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The "new CFX" turned into the MFX, which is "infinitely" better. :-)
RichardHallas

Post by RichardHallas »

stephen_usher wrote: 05 Oct 2022 00:01 The "new CFX" turned into the MFX, which is "infinitely" better. :-)
Oh, wow! This does indeed illustrate how comprehensively I’ve been out of the picture over the last year!

Dave, Martin… MFX is a SPECTACULAR piece of work! I’m absolutely thrilled that you’ve come up with such a fantastic upgrade for this wonderful machine.

Dave, could you please put me down for TWO of these MFX add-ones…? (Unexpected, I know, but there’s method in my madness!)
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Sorry to hear about your real-life concerns Richard. As a recent owner of the MFX, I can concur with Stephen Usher's comments - it truly is a worthy successor to the CFX line.

Hope things turn out better for you soon.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
RichardHallas

Post by RichardHallas »

gunrock wrote: 05 Oct 2022 12:57 Sorry to hear about your real-life concerns Richard. As a recent owner of the MFX, I can concur with Stephen Usher's comments - it truly is a worthy successor to the CFX line.

Hope things turn out better for you soon.
Thanks a lot.

I'll drop Dave a line to ask him about availability.
Richard Hallas

MTX512 owner