Post questions about MFX and raise any issues or problems here
stephen_usher

Re: MFX mass-storage add-on

Post by stephen_usher »

Looking good.
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Exciting-looking pictures guys! BTW, the NFX networking and enhanced sprites are my most favoured new features.

So what's left to do?

Edit: sorry hit post, too early.
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Post by Dave »

I just need to check a few component/module prices and work out a final price, plus a couple of weeks of extended testing is in order, just in case any hidden gremlins come to light.

The “final” price might be a bit ‘fluid”. The global supply situation is not getting any better and the increasing rate of inflation, coupled with Sterling’s fall against the dollar, are all contriving to put a bit of pressure on the price.
Martin A

Post by Martin A »

So, Dave has confirmed that as expected, there are no clearance issues with MFX and the case will close without problems.
See near the end: http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... fx-eng.htm

That's meant I could complete the 3d printed end plate:
end plate.jpg
end plate.jpg (393.63 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
The print is the same thickness as the original metal plate, with some additional ribbing on the back for rigidity. Not that I think that matters much, all the components are secured to the PCB rather than the end plate.

(No picture of the case close I'm affraid, Until we're sure there's no more tweaks required the dev system still needs the FPGA board risers and Flash ROM ZIF socket fitted)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Registration Open :lol:

It seems almost certain the MFX is going to fly in its current form and will likely start to be available IN SMALL NUMBERS by the end of the month. I have already had a number of "expressions of interest", both here and on Facebook, and I need to start allocating any devices that might become available to prospective purchasers.

I realise that it is difficult for people to make a definite commitment without knowing the final price and the price is still uncertain until I get more clarity on the prices of the components. However, to give people a feel for the price, I can say that the maximum price for the initial batch will be not more than £140 to give me enough slack to cope with the price changes that I am seeing. It will likely be considerably less, but I wanted to give people an indication of the maximum that they would need to pay.

If you are still interested, please drop me an email indicating your interest and I will add you to a "first come, first served" list.

Note: you are not committing to buy, just giving me an indication of how much work I'm going to have to do :-)

regards
Dave

Updated 8th September 2022

Despite my earlier hopes, the price for future MFX orders will not be "considerably less" than the £140 that I had projected. As most people will know, component prices are not reducing, shortages continue and increasing inflation are all having an effect. I will hold the £140 maximum for those folks that have already ordered one, but for future orders, the price will vary and almost certainly increase.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm surprised that you can do it so cheaply.

With respect to the 512K memory. If the MTX only has 32K on-board how is the memory mapped? I'm thinking of the "MTX512" which has the memory card and modded CFX in it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

It’s not a money making exercise, but I like to cover my costs and get a few quid for my time. If it were going to be a commercial product, then it would be much more expensive. The real reward for me, and I think Martin too, is letting folks get the best from these great machines.

There is a jumper on the board that selects either a MTX500, or an MTX512. In either case, due the the limitation of the number of available terms in the GAL, the total memory will be 512k.

For your machine with the modded CFX, you would remove the memory card and CFX, pin MFX for an MTX500 and have 512k in total

Regards
Dave
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK, put my name down for one please. Sounds like an interesting system.

I wasn't questioning the profit, I was merely looking at the components and the costs of boards that size and wondering how it could cost so little.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks, yes, I knew you weren’t questioning the profit, I was trying to explain the reason that it is so reasonably priced is that we are not looking to cash in, particularly as much of the collateral has been made freely available by Andy and Martin.

OK, you’re on the list :)
acsi

Post by acsi »

Yes please put me on the list Dave if possible I would love one of these.