SDX Controller DIP switch settings

About original Memotech hardware.
Potholepete

SDX Controller DIP switch settings

Post by Potholepete »

Have had a good look around the usual places (Andy and Dave's sites) and cannot seem to find how the switched need to be configured for type 03 or 07 drives. The one I have is the older SDX controller so it has DIP switches for drive A & B. I am currently trying to test some of the kit out and cannot find the manual that I thought I had with the dip switch settings?

I hope someone has a link somewhere.
cheers
Jim
Dave

Re: SDX Controller DIP switch settings

Post by Dave »

Hi Jim,

You can't set the disk type on the DIP switches - it's hard coded in the ROM
(Edit : just looked at the drawing again, you **may** be able to set 03/07 with SW3 (96TPI vs 48 TPI)

The DIP packs are for two drives - switches are here, it's not marked very well, but ALL ON works for my drive.
(S1 is Head Load, etc.)

http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/d ... 05_1_1.pdf

regards
Dave
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

Thanks Dave, I saw this PDF and your article about getting your SDX interface to work with the 3.5" drive and the ref to the switches but am still not 100% sure. Basically I have two different rom chips that I have put into this SDX board, it was a CPM at 1st but I want to test the non CPM out. switches 4 and 8 were off the rest on, I am not sure if this is right or not as when I type user dir the drive spins, no light comes on and pressing reset does not stop the drive from spinning which is usually should do? Main issue is I have mixed and matched my stuff so many times I do not know which goes with what lol

Cheers
Jim

PS did you ever get the Gotek fully working? it still says ongoing on your site.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Jim,

yes, the Gotek is working, though it's been a while since I have had time to play with it and to finish the article. The Gotek is VERY fussy on what USB sticks you can use without getting errors. There didn't seem to be any way to tell which would work and which wouldn't without trial & error. Some expensive ones didn't, some cheap ones did.

What type of drive are you using ?
3.5 / 5.25?
360k / 720K?
(A 1.2MB drive is unlikely to work and a 1.44MB floppy with the hole taped over to kid the drive into thinking its DS/DD is pretty unreliable)

regards
Dave
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

Thats good news then re Gotek, I think I might see if I can get one running for a spare FDX I have that I am thinking of selling on sometime. Its not the CP/M Full Fat FDX though its the original single disc FDX that Memotech did before the cheaper ones came along.

Its a QUMETRAK 142 drive fitted into my SDX, google says its a DSDD (500k) drive?

link to your site: http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/m ... advert.gif

Jim
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Jim,

all my FDXs are the CP/M type. I've not seen one of the non-CP/M ones. I think that it probably doesn't have the 80 column card then?

Yes. the QumeTrak is a 500k (360k formatted) Type 03. If you have the CP/M ROM in your SDX and the MTX 80 column card installed (?), then the drive needs to match the ROM config in order to boot CP/M from floppy. I saw an old photo of your drive on Andy's site ages ago - it didn't have a label on the ROM, so you might not know if it's a Type 03 or 07? If you are using the CP/M system with the 80 column card, you should be able to press <RET> before it boots to get the > displayed, then you can force a specific boot as you need, e.g., >BB03 to boot a type 03, >BB07 to boot type 07. (Obviously, you can't force the system to boot Type 07 with a 360k drive though!)

That advert on my site is NOT for a QumeTrak MTX - it is one of the "cheapo" 100k or 250k drives that Memotech brought out much later. The 360k CP/M SDX system was like this http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/p ... win_P1.jpg (Although the drives in that photo are Epson, they have the same characteristics as the QumeTrak, i.e., are 360k.)

regards
Dave
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

Hi Dave, its actually one of the original dev units I have and I used it for writing my (never released) version of Lunar Lander among other things so its not the CPM (no 80 col card fitted) its just the USER DIR (MTX) disc system on this one.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I don't think that the position of switch 4 matters much - I have not seen any difference on my drives if I changed it. I suspect that it is a hangover from 8" drives where it might have made a difference.

Try setting Sw3 OFF - I think that it should be in that position for a 360k drive

How is your floppy cable connected and is it a Memotech cable or a generic one from a PC?

regards
Dave
Potholepete

Post by Potholepete »

cheers Dave, I will try switch 3 and see. Its an original Memotech cable, although it has seen better days I have a few I can use to test and it seems they are the same.