Any reason that PMs just sit in the Outbox indefinitely?

gunrock

Any reason that PMs just sit in the Outbox indefinitely?

Post by gunrock »

As the subject says, I had a PM that was addressed to two users which just sat there for a day. So I deleted it and sent it separately to the two users... still no dice.

Moderators, Claus: any idea what is happening?
Steve G
Danish Memotech MTX 512, MFX and loving it
Dave

Re: Any reason that PMs just sit in the Outbox indefinitely?

Post by Dave »

Messages stay in the outbox until they are read

(If you click on their username(s) you can see when they were "Last Active" - they likely have not logged in and seen the messages)

regards
Dave
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

Ah! That's a strange modus operandi!

Thanks, Dave
Steve G
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

gunrock wrote: 01 Nov 2023 19:22 Ah! That's a strange modus operandi!
Bog standard for phpBB forum software. Same behaviour on other phpBB based forums…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

It might be 'de rigeur' for phpBB, but it kind of breaks the expected behaviour, don'tyou agree? When I send an email, an SMS or other message in most other systems, it leaves my outbox when sent, with a copy in my sent folder and a copy in the recipient's inbox.

Most of the other forums I frequent use vBulletin which follow the usual message-sending paradigm described above.
Steve G
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

It is what it is. Or to be pedantic, is phpBB right and everything/everyone else wrong? Who knows?

All I know is, that this is expected behaviour for a phpBB forum. And it does mean that until it disappears from your outbox, you know that not all the recipients have opened the message yet.

With email and some text messages, all you know is that your system has attempted to send the message. True, some text message systems now indicate that the recipient’s system received the message, but you have no way of knowing if the recipient has “opened” the message.

You can always go to the phpBB site and investigate on if there are any plans to change this behaviour in the future, and if not, make a suggestion.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on 15 Nov 2023 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
gunrock

Post by gunrock »

1024MAK wrote: 15 Nov 2023 00:46 All I know is, that this is expected behaviour for a phpBB forum. And it does mean that until it disappears from your outbox, you know that not all the recipients have opened the message yet.
It is a good way of knowing whether the message has been looked at, I'll agree.
You can always go to the phpBB site and investigate on if there are any plans to change this behaviour in the future, and uf not, make a suggestion.
Not sure, I'm that bothered Mark, I just hadn't seen it before, that's all - like I say the other couple of forums I'm a member of (heretic! :D ) are vBulletin.
Steve G