MTX & Tatung Einstein Speculator source code release

Include new and ported/converted games, and old games/tools. Subjects about CP/M software goes in the CP/M Forum.
Tony Brewer

MTX & Tatung Einstein Speculator source code release

Post by Tony Brewer »

MTX version:
mtxspec.zip
(238.42 KiB) Downloaded 1869 times
Tatung Einstein version:
einspec.zip
(228.3 KiB) Downloaded 1932 times
Original MTX source files have been lost. Luckily I still have Einstein source on 3" diskettes which allowed me (10 years ago) to regenerate the MTX source after disassembling the MTX object code.

I used Microsoft M80 and L80 to assemble and link the source files, the same as was done at Memotech. Einstein version has two .sub files to make assembling & linking easier and these can be used to create MTX versions. Source code assembles to match object code perfectly, e.g. with MyZ80.
Last edited by Tony Brewer on 24 Nov 2023 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
Dave

Re: MTX & Tatung Einstein Speculator source code

Post by Dave »

Hi Tony,

it's been a while!

Great to see you here, thanks very much for sharing this

regards
Dave
Tony Brewer

Re: MTX & Tatung Einstein Speculator source code

Post by Tony Brewer »

Hello Dave, high time the Speculator source code was in the public domain. It is copyright (c) Tony Brewer but anyone can do anything with it.
Dave

Re: MTX & Tatung Einstein Speculator source code release

Post by Dave »

Hi Tony,

It's still generous of you to share it.

Whether or not anyone choses to do anything to with it (and I hope that they do), it's great that this is being preserved, it was groundbreaking in its time. Just a shame that there were not that many Memotech users to take advantage of it at the time

regards
Dave
Tony Brewer

Post by Tony Brewer »

The first thing someone could try is assembling & linking the MTX version. See SPEC1.TXT for linking order. Note that the M prefix is omitted from actual source files in zip file. Original files were named MSPx.MAC but I changed to SPx.MAC for the Einstein. The SPL80.SUB shown below is not 100% right; SPL should start 2400H after SPK1. Maybe needs /P:2500, before SPL/M. It's a long time since I used L80 and much much longer since I created an MTX program file.

Code: Select all

;MTX version of SPM80.SUB

M80 =SPC/L
M80 =SPD/L
M80 =SPG/L
M80 =SPI/L
M80 =SPK1/L
M80 =SPK/L
M80 =SPL/L
M80 =SPM1/L
M80 =SPM/L
M80 =SPP/L
M80 =SPS/L
M80 =SPT/L

;MTX version of SPL80.SUB

L80 /P:100,SPK1,SPC,SPP,SPD,SPI,SPG,SPK,SPM1,SPS,SPM,SPT,SPL/M
Last edited by Tony Brewer on 24 Nov 2023 21:29, edited 3 times in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, thank you Tony. Much appreciated :-)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Tony Brewer

Post by Tony Brewer »

Another thing someone could try is to use the Sinclair ROM code. I couldn't do this because it was not public-domain at the time. Instead I put the Speculator-specific code between various ROM entry points that I supported, as the source code will show you.

I think the Sinclair cassette loading routines would work if the INs from port 254 are patched to input from CTC port 3 and bit 0 tested, provided the NMI routine was switched from screen update to a fast single key test (for toggling screen refresh on/off, the latter during tape loading).
Tony Brewer

Post by Tony Brewer »

Copyright notice added to source code .zip files yesterday evening (thanks for the suggestion Dave).