Building a replacement MTX PSU

About original Memotech hardware.
Dave

Re: Building a replacement MTX PSU

Post by Dave »

wyerd wrote: So you're just down the road from me?! Just 2800 odd miles! Whereabouts in WA are you? I was there back in 2011 in Seattle and I was very lucky to go to Everett and have a tour of the Boeing factory. It's an amazing place.
Hi Dave,

We flew into Seattle and spent a couple of nights there.
Yesterday was a trip to the Boeing factory - as you said, pretty impressive! The only slight disappointment was not being able to take photos, but it was well worth visiting.

Today, it's the wine (and beer) country. Here for another couple of nights, then Vancouver, Victoria and back to Seattle for a few more nights.

I need to have an afternoon nap now. We've just been on a brewery tour, but it was really just an excuse to drink beer for an hour or so at an alarmng, if acceptable, pace. The mistake I made was having a couple of pints at lunch beforehand! The "tour" consisted of a few brief glimpses of various parts of the process, with most time spent "sampling" (in ample quantities) the produce - hic !

Regards
Dave (or at least, I think that's my name!)
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Looks like you're having a great time! Great places to visit too.
Dave

Post by Dave »

But still with time to play :-)
Attachments
label.png
label.png (19.75 KiB) Viewed 12802 times
lezanderson

Post by lezanderson »

Is there a BOM (Bill of Materials) and costings for this great little project ? How much do they cost to make ?

It might be worth making a downloadable booklet (instructions) on how to make it, with pictures, BOM list etc
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, UK BOM is here
USA BOM is here
Schematic is here

The USA version uses a different transformer, so has a 2A mains fuse. Apart from that, it is essentially the same.
My thanks to forum member Wyerd for the USA BOM :D

Note that I'm in the process of updating some details right now. EDIT: details now updated :P

Later I will edit the first post to include the above links.

I'm happy for Dave to publish all the details provided in this thread as a nicely designed (and detailed) page on his web site. That should then make it easier for people to construct their own, should they wish to.

I can make a limited number for forum members (thread here). If Claus still wants one, I will start construction of another one later this month.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on 04 Aug 2015 16:44, edited 3 times in total.
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :D

Not as many MTXs as Dave! :lol:
Crazyboss
Site Admin

Post by Crazyboss »

MARK I am still in for one :)
//CLAUS - Webmaster at www.mtxworld.dk
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks Mark,

Web page is here http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/m ... psu_mk.htm

Not completed yet, basically just a group of photos, but you'll get the idea . . . . .

Regards
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

wyerd wrote:Attached is the BoM for parts from US suppliers.

@Mark, do you want to merge it with yours, or keep it separate? Best to give it the once over as well.
Well done :D Nice and comprehensive ;)
I've had a look through, the only problem I can see, is two of the hot links don't open a browser page when clicked (unless it's just LibreOffice Calc being different).

I think it is best to keep them separate, otherwise I can see a possibility for confusion. People can always look at both if at any future date they are having problems finding a suitable part.

As you may have already seen, I have added a link in the first post to your post containing the USA BOM. So if you do update it, can you please edit that post.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

@ Dave - I like the label :P

Mark
“There are four lights!”

wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Dave wrote:But still with time to play :-)
So I can see! You have been a busy bee.

Now to find somewhere to print it for a decent price. The web page looks great too, although it might be worth mentioning that fuse F3 is a slow blow type for the 110v model. It's listed as such in the BoM, but it may be missed or queried.